The Flintstone Kids
|This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (April 2009)|
|The Flintstone Kids|
|Based on||The Flintstones|
|Narrated by||Kenneth Mars (Captain Caveman and Son segments)|
|Theme music composer||Hoyt Curtin|
|Opening theme||"The Flintstone Kids"|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||32 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||William Hanna
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Hanna-Barbera Productions|
|Original release||September 6, 1986– September 3, 1988|
|Preceded by||The Flintstone Funnies|
|Followed by||Dino: Stay Out!|
The Flintstone Kids is a Saturday morning animated series and a spin-off of The Flintstones produced by Hanna-Barbera which aired from September 6, 1986 to September 3, 1988 on ABC and as part of the weekday/weekend morning programming block The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera.
The program follows the adventures of Fred Flintstone, Barney Rubble, Wilma Slaghoople, Betty and Dino as children as they deal with their childhood with their friends Nate Slate, Philo Quartz, and Dreamchip Gemstone while also contending with their bully Rocky Ratrock and his group consisting of Tar Pit, Flab Slab, Janet Granite, and Rocky's dog Stalagbite.
The premise of The Flintstone Kids, which depicts Fred and Barney as childhood friends with Wilma and Betty, contradicts the continuity of the original Flintstones series, which established in the episode "Bachelor Daze" that the two men did not meet their wives until they were young adults. Despite this, the character of Philo Quart, who was created for this show, would later appear as an adult in the TV special A Flintstones Christmas Carol.
This series featured the following segments:
- The Flintstone Kids: The "main" story of the show. Either it would be the length of a full episode or be split into two different stories.
- Flintstone Funnies: Freddy, Barney, Wilma and Betty dreaming of exciting fantasy/adventures. These were dropped in the second season.
- Dino's Dilemmas: This segment featured the adventures and misadventures of Freddy's pet dinosaur Dino.
- Captain Caveman and Son: The adventures of Captain Caveman with his son, Cavey Jr. This segment was actually a "show within a show" whereby Captain Caveman and Son is a TV show watched by the main characters, with the "fourth wall" being broken frequently.
- Charlie Adler – Cavey Jr.
- Bever-Leigh Banfield – Mayor of Bedrock
- Jon Bauman – (Season 1)
- Michael Bell – Mr. Billy Bad
- Mel Blanc – Dino, Robert Rubble, Captain Caveman, Piggy McGrabit
- Susan Blu – Dreamchip Gemstone, Janet Granite, Victoria Lithonstone-Gemstone
- Valri Bromfield - (Season 2)
- Hamilton Camp – Barney Rubble, Flab Slab
- Henry Corden – Ed Flintstone, Edna Flintstone
- Peter Cullen – (Season 1)
- Jim Cummings – (Season 1)
- Julie Dees – Wilma Slaghoople (1986–1987), Mica Slaghoople, Mickey Slaghoople, Tarpit Tommy
- Rick Dees – (Season 1)
- Dick Erdman – (Season 1)
- Takayo Fischer – (1986-1988)
- June Foray – Grandma Cavemom
- Pat Fraley – (Season 1)
- Elizabeth Lyn Fraser – Wilma Slaghoople (1987–1988)
- Arte Johnson – (Season 1)
- Buster Jones – Officer Bob Quartz
- Aron Kincaid – (Season 1)
- René LeVant – (Season 1)
- Allan Lurie – (Season 1)
- Tress MacNeille – (Season 1)
- Kenneth Mars – Narrator ("Captain Caveman and Son" segments)
- Janet May – (Season 1)
- Scott Menville – Freddy Flintstone (1987–1988)
- Howard Morris – (Season 1)
- George O'Hanlon – (Season 1)
- Rob Paulsen – Additional Voices (Season 1)
- Bumper Robinson – Philo Quartz
- Michael Rye – Ricky Slaghoople
- Ronnie Schell – Yuckster
- Marilyn Schreffler – Rocky Ratrock, Flo Rubble
- Avery Schreiber – (Season 1)
- John Stephenson – Ditto Master, Victor Gemstone
- Jean Vander Pyl – Pearl Pebbles Slaghoople
- B.J. Ward – Betty Bricker, Mrs. Rockbottom
- Beau Weaver – Beaver
- Lennie Weinrib – Freddy Flintstone (1986–1987), Police Commissioner
- Frank Welker – Nate Slate, Stalagbite, Fang, fill-ins for Dino and Robert Rubble
- Patric Zimmerman – (Season 1)
On May 4, 2010, Warner Home Video released Saturday Morning Cartoons 1980s, Volume 1, a compilation release which features episodes from various 80's cartoons including an episode from The Flintstone Kids. On March 11, 2014, Warner Home Video released The Flintstone Kids: Rockin' in Bedrock, a 2-disc set featuring 10 episodes from the first season, on DVD in Region 1.
- "Saturday Morning: Good And Bad". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Sennett, Ted. The Art of Hanna-Barbera: Fifty Years of Creativity. New York: Viking Penguin, 1989. ISBN 0-670-82978-1. p. 262.
- Stone-Age Preteens, Mr. T , Dirk the Daring and More on WHV's Saturday AM '80s DVD
- We've Got a First Look at the Cover Art for 'Rockin' in Bedrock'