The Flintstones' New Neighbors
|The Flintstone Special:
The Flintstones' New Neighbors
|Directed by||Carl Urbano|
|Voices of||Henry Corden
Jean Vander Pyl
|Country of origin||United States|
|Executive producer(s)||William Hanna
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Hanna-Barbera Productions|
|Original release||September 26, 1980|
|Followed by||Fred's Final Fling|
The Flintstones' New Neighbors is a 1980 animated television special and is the first of The Flintstone Special limited-run prime time revival of The Flintstones produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions which premiered on NBC on September 26, 1980.
The Flintstones' New Neighbors was animated at Filman, an animation studio in Madrid, Spain (headed by Carlos Alfonso and Juan Pina) who did a lot of animation work for Hanna-Barbera between the early 1970s through the mid-1980s. Like many animated series created by Hanna-Barbera in the 1970s, the show contained a laugh track created by the studio, one of the last productions to do so.
The Flintstones and the Rubbles welcome a new strange family, The Frankenstones, to their Bedrock neighborhood.
The Frankenstone family featured on this special was a different version of the Frankenstones from the episode "Fred and Barney Meet the Frankenstones" of The New Fred and Barney Show (1979).
The new Frankenstone family members are:
- Frank Frankenstone
- Oblivia Frankenstone, his wife
- Hidea Frankenstone, their daughter
- Stubby Frankenstone, their son
A friendship develops between the Flintstones and the Frankenstones, not unlike the rivalry that would be depicted later between Fred and Frank on The Flintstone Comedy Show. This version of the Frankenstones continued to appear throughout the run of the specials.
- Henry Corden - Fred Flintstone
- Mel Blanc - Barney Rubble
- Jean Vander Pyl - Wilma Flintstone, Pebbles Flintstone
- Gay Autterson - Betty Rubble
- Don Messick - Bamm-Bamm Rubble
- John Stephenson - Frank Frankenstone
- Pat Parris - Oblivia Frankenstone
- Jim MacGeorge - Stubby Frankenstone
- Julie McWhirter - Hidea Frankenstone
- Frank Welker - Creepy, Mother Pterodactyl
The Flintstones' New Neighbors was nominated for Outstanding Individual Achievement - Animated Programming at the 33rd Primetime Emmy Awards in 1981.
- Executive in Charge of Production: Margaret Loesch
- Director: Carl Urbano
- Story: Willie Gilbert
- Story Direction: Alex Lovy
- Recording Director: Alex Lovy
- Voices: Gay Autterson, Mel Blanc, Henry Corden, Jim MacGeorge, Julie McWhirter, Don Messick, Pat Parris, John Stephenson, Jean Vander Pyl, Frank Welker
- Graphics: Iraj Paran, Tom Wogatzke
- Musical Director: Hoyt Curtin
- Musical Supervisor: Paul DeKorte
- Character Design: Bob Singer, Don Morgan
- Layout: Angel Izquierdo
- Animation: Alberto Conejo, Julio Diez, Miguel A. Fuertes, Manuel G. Galiana, Roberto Marcano, Matias Marcos, Ezequiel Martin, Pedro Mohedano, Pedro J. Molina, Mariano Rueda
- Backgrounds: Francisco Albert, Marcial Del Cerro, Andres Hernandez
- Xerography: Javier Alfonso, Jose A. Moreno
- Ink and Paint Supervision: Carmen Moreno
- Sound Direction: Richard Olson
- Camera: Raul Garcia, Santiago Gomez
- Supervising Film Editor: Larry C. Cowan
- Film Editor: Emiliano Diaz
- Dubbing Supervisor: Pat Foley
- Music Editors: Joe Sandusky, Terry Moore
- Effects Editors: Daniels McLean, Cecil Broughton, Michael Bradley, Catherine McKenzie
- Show Editor: Gil Iverson
- Negative Consultant: William E. DeBoer
- Production Supervisors: Carlos Alfonso, Juan Pina
- Post Production Supervisor: Joed Eaton
- Producer: Alex Lovy
- Executive Producers: Joseph Barbera and William Hanna
- A Hanna-Barbera Production
- This Picture Made Under the Juridiction of IATSE-IA Affiliated with A.F.L.-C.I.O.
- © 1980 Hanna-Barbera Productions, Inc.
Home media releases
On October 9, 2012, Warner Archive released The Flintstones' New Neighbors on DVD in region 1 as part of their Hanna–Barbera Classics Collection, in a release entitled The Flintstones Prime-Time Specials Collection: Volume 2. This is a Manufacture-on-Demand (MOD) release, available exclusively through Warner's online store and Amazon.com.
- The Flintstones DVD news: Warner Archive Releases 4 Titles with Prime-Time Specials or Telefilms | TVShowsOnDVD.com