|Labels||"O" Records, Rams Horn Records, Sony Music Entertainment|
The Flirts were an American female band. The trio was created and masterminded by American Hi-NRG mogul Bobby "O" Orlando, initially it was composed of one blonde, one brunette, and one redhead. They are best known for Hi-NRG songs such as "Passion", "Danger", "Helpless" and "Jukebox (Don't Put Another Dime)".
Concept and first chart success
Orlando conceived the idea for The Flirts, wrote the songs, played the instruments, and produced the tracks. He then auditioned girls to be the faces of the group. Orlando often called in the services of professional session singers to sing the vocals for the tracks because most of the performers were trained as dancers, models or actresses. The Flirts went through numerous lineup changes and with every album release and tour, some girls left while others stayed. The Flirts released six studio albums from 1982–1992 and numerous singles. They made several international tours, often in the club circuit, and usually lip-synced alongside the recordings.
Debut single "Jukebox" received significant airplay on MTV in 1982. The song rose to number 28 on the Billboard US Dance Chart. The follow-up single "Passion" peaked the same year at number 21, and became a huge success in Europe, reaching number 22 in the Netherlands and number 4 in Germany.
"Helpless (You Took My Love)" peaked at number 12 on the Billboard US Dance Chart, and reached number 13 on the German Top 75. The Flirts were featured in the German feature film Feel the Motion.
- Bobby Orlando
- Andrea Del Conte
- Hope Brayman
- Holly Kerr
- Sandy Lorenzo
- Rebecca Sulivan
- Pamela Leonard
- Linda J Rizzo
- Tricia Wygal
- Christina Criscione
- Geri Fallo
- Debra "Debbie" Gaynor
- Christie Muhaw
- Kim Rowe
- Danielle McKee
Plus many session singers who sang lead and background vocals on tracks that were released under the name The Flirts.
- 1982: 10¢ a Dance (renamed as Passion in the Netherlands)
- 1983: Born to Flirt
- 1984: Made in America
- 1985: Blondes Brunettes & Redheads
- 1986: Questions of the Heart
- 1992: Take A Chance On Me
Greatest hits albums
- 1983: Flirt With The Flirts (Netherlands release only)
- 1991: The Best Of The Flirts
- 1993: Greatest Hits
- 1996: Passion - The Best Of
- 2001: Physical Attraction
- 1982: "Jukebox (Don't Put Another Dime)"/"Boy Crazy" (US Dance #28)
- 1982: "Passion" (Belgium #36, Germany #4, Netherlands #22, Switzerland #4, US Dance #21)
- 1983: "Calling All Boys" (Germany #57)
- 1983: "Danger" (Switzerland #30)
- 1983: "On The Beach"
- 1984: "Helpless (You Took My Love)" (Germany #13, Switzerland #15, US Dance #12)
- 1985: "Dancing Madly Backwards" (Germany #46, US Dance #47)
- 1985: "You & Me" (US Dance #1)
- 1986: "Miss You" (US Dance #15)
- 1986: "New Toy" (US Dance #5)
- 1986: "All You Ever Think About Is (Sex)"
- 1988: "A Thing Called Love"
Featured tracks on compilations
- "Danger" - Disco Discharge: Pink Pounders (2010)
- "Passion" - Disco Discharge: Gay Disco & Hi-NRG (2009)
- "Passion" - Grand 12 Inches 4 (2007, Sony)
- "Helpless (You Took My Love)" - I Love Bobby O (2006)
- "Passion" - Back To Mine: Pet Shop Boys (2005)
- "Passion" - I Love Disco Energy (2003)
- List of number-one dance hits (United States)
- List of artists who reached number one on the US Dance chart