|Created by||Julie Holder|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Running time||15 mins|
|Original release||14 February –|
9 May 1977
The plot revolved around the various adventures of a family of furry characters called The Flumps. It was created and written by Julie Holder and narrated by Gay Soper. The theme tune was played by George Chisholm on the trombone.
In 1978, the BBC released a record, The Flumps (REC 309), that had 4 stories from the TV series narrated and sung by Gay Soper: "Keep Fit", "Balloons", "Moon Shot" and "Something Different".
In 2000, The Flumps was released on DVD. During early 2008, the theme tune was used in a series of adverts for Auto Trader magazine in the UK. These adverts were run again in Q3 2009.
The various flumps were:
- Grandpa Flump, who played a Flumpet (a type of trumpet),
- Father Flump, a keen gardener
- Mother Flump, often seen cooking in the kitchen
- Posie, a girl Flump
- Perkin, a boy Flump
- Pootle, the toddler Flump
- "The Cloud"
- "The Magnet"
- "Get Your Skates On"
- "Moon Shot"
- "Keep Fit"
- "Something Different"
- "Lend A Hand"
- "Quiet Please"
- "Grandfather's Birthday"
- "What A Carrot"
- "Where's Grandfather?"
The Flumps was shown 21 times between 1977 and 1988, usually around 1.45pm, and usually on BBC1. The transmission runs were as follows:
- During the first transmission run of 1984, one of the first five episodes was not shown.
- Sheridan, Simon (2007) . The A to Z of Classic Children's Television. Reynolds & Hearn. ISBN 1-903111-27-7. Features a chapter on the series and an interview with voice-over actress Gay Soper.