The Flying Burrito Bros (album)
|The Flying Burrito Bros|
|Studio album by The Flying Burrito Brothers|
|Recorded||1971 Sunset Sound Studios, Los Angeles, California|
|Producer||Jim Dickson, Bob Hughes|
|The Flying Burrito Brothers chronology|
|Robert Christgau||C+ |
The Flying Burrito Bros is the third album by the country rock group, The Flying Burrito Brothers, released in 1971. Before recording sessions for the album began, Gram Parsons departed from the band for a solo career, leaving Chris Hillman and "Sneaky" Pete Kleinow to carry on. In Parsons' place, the band hired a young unknown musician named Rick Roberts, who later was the lead singer of Firefall. Guitarist Bernie Leadon would also leave the band shortly after the album's release, going on to found the Eagles.
Over the winter of 1970 to 1971 the band returned to Sunset Studios to record their third album. With Jim Dickson again the producer, the group developed original pieces mainly from Chris Hillman and Rick Roberts, along with a revisitation of Bob Dylan compositions. Several outtakes from the recording sessions later appeared on several compilations following the band's demise. Following the release of the album, further personnel changes occurred including Kleinow departing to focus solely on session recordings.
- "White Line Fever" (Merle Haggard) – 3:16
- "Colorado" (Rick Roberts) – 4:52
- "Hand to Mouth" (Rick Roberts, Chris Hillman) – 3:44
- "Tried So Hard" (Gene Clark) – 3:08
- "Just Can't Be" (Rick Roberts, Chris Hillman) – 4:58
- "To Ramona" (Bob Dylan) – 3:40
- "Four Days of Rain" (Rick Roberts) – 3:39
- "Can't You Hear Me Calling" (Rick Roberts, Chris Hillman) – 2:23
- "All Alone" (Rick Roberts, Chris Hillman) – 3:33
- "Why Are You Crying" (Rick Roberts) – 3:02
CD Bonus Tracks:
Tried So Hard (single version) (Gene Clark), Here Tonight (Gene Clark), Payday (Jesse Winchester), In My Own Small Way (Rick Roberts), Feel Good Music (Rick Roberts), Beat The Heat (instrumental) (Pete Kleinow), Did You See (Rick Roberts), Pick Me Up On Your Way Down (Harlan Howard)
- Rick Roberts: vocals, rhythm guitar
- Chris Hillman: vocals, bass
- Sneaky Pete Kleinow: pedal steel guitar
- Bernie Leadon: vocals, guitars, banjo
- Michael Clarke: drums
- Additional personnel
- Producer: Jim Dickson/Bob Hughes
- Recording Engineer: Lillian Davis Douma / Bob Hughes
- Art Direction: unknown
- Photography: unknown
- Liner Notes: unknown
- Hartenbach, Brett. The Flying Burrito Brothers at AllMusic
- Christgau, Robert. "Gram Parsons: GP > Consumer Guide Review". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- "Flying Burrito Brothers Biography". CMT. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- "The Byrds Fly in and Out". burritobrother.com. Retrieved March 17, 2015.