The Forbidden Door
Forbidden Door movie poster
|Directed by||Joko Anwar|
|Produced by||Sheila Timothy|
|Written by||Joko Anwar|
|Based on||Pintu Terlarang|
by Sekar Ayu Asmara
Ade Firza Paloh
|Music by||Aghi Narottama|
|Distributed by||Lifelike Pictures|
The Forbidden Door (Indonesian: Pintu Terlarang) is a 2009 Indonesian thriller film, directed by Joko Anwar. It is based on the novel Pintu Terlarang, written by Sekar Ayu Asmara. Joko Anwar won the Best of Puchon award at the 2009 Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival, and was nominated for the Golden Kinnaree Award at the 2009 Bangkok International Film Festival.
This section may be incomprehensible or very hard to understand.Learn how and when to remove this template message)(November 2016) (
- Fachri Albar as Gambir
- Marsha Timothy as Talyda/Ranti
- Ario Bayu as Dandung
- Otto Djauhari as Rio
- Tio Pakusadewo as Koh Jimmy
- Henidar Amroe as Menik Sasongko
- Arswendi Nasution as Abortion Clinic Guy
- Atiqah Hasiholan as Claudia/Receptionist
- Verdi Solaiman as John Wongso
- Putri Sukardi as Mom
- Ade Firza Paloh as Dad
- Kartika Jahja as Mona
Original Soundtrack consist of 18 tracks divided into two parts, one part as band performer and another one as musical score. The score was filled by Mondo of Sore, Zeke Khaseli of Zeke and the Popo, Tika, Notturno, and Mantra band.
Bloody Disgusting's John Leal rated the film 8 out of 10 and wrote in his page; "Overall, The Forbidden Door is a highly recommended Indonesian effort whose storyline gives us a very unique experience that comes well written and with plenty of horror to offset and in fact compliment the drama. Anwar’s direction is equally amazing, giving us a full-frontal approach to the well-executed horror sequences that set this film apart from most of what I have seen in recent time".
Twitch Film's Ard Vijn said in his page that; "Joko Anwar wants to keep his movies accessible for the general public while telling them an outrageous story at the same time, and like with "Kala" it's amazing how well he succeeds. "The Forbidden Door" looks gorgeous (despite its budget!) and jumps effortlessly from genre to genre without alienating its audience." Ard Vijn also wrote in his page that the audience at the IFFR awarded "The Forbidden Door" a very respectable 4.0 out of 5 so maybe people are used to a lot more gore than I expected...
In 2009 at the New York Asian Film Festival, the film was described as a "19th century gothic novel adapted by Alfred Hitchcock and directed by David Lynch" and "one of the sickest, kinkiest movies".
- Schackleton, Liz (2009-07-24). "Forbidden Door takes top honours at PiFan". screendaily.com. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- John Leal (2009) Forbidden Door review Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved February 10, 2012.
- Vijn, Ard. February 05, 2009. Forbidden Door Conclusion. Twitch Film. Retrieved February 10, 2012.
- Guillen, Michael (2010-02-17). "SFIAAFF28: THE FORBIDDEN DOOR (PINTU TERLARANG, 2009): The Twitch Round-up". Twitch Film. Retrieved 2013-04-10.