The Force (Kool & the Gang album)
|Studio album by|
|Producer||Kool and the Gang|
|Kool & the Gang chronology|
|The Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
|The New Rolling Stone Record Guide|||
The Force is the ninth studio album by the funk band Kool & the Gang, released in 1977.
The album peaked at No. 142 on the Billboard 200.
The Globe and Mail wrote that "it's strange that to this day, black soul musicians are trying to say it better than Sly [Stone] did a decade ago and failing miserably." The Bay State Banner wrote that the album "lacked the excellent jive vocals, hot horn lines and boogie beat arrangements Kool made famous."
|1.||"A Place in Space"||Ronald Bell, Kool & the Gang||4:49|
|2.||"Slick Superchick"||George Brown, Kool & the Gang||4:05|
|3.||"Just Be True"||Ronald Bell, Kool & the Gang||4:21|
|4.||"The Force"||Ronald Bell, Kool & the Gang||4:26|
|1.||"Mighty, Mighty High"||Ronald Bell, Kool & the Gang||6:51|
|2.||"Oasis"||Ronald Bell, Kool & the Gang||6:06|
|3.||"Life's a Song"||Claydes Smith, Kool & the Gang||2:58|
|4.||"Free"||Ronald Bell, Kool & the Gang||2:11|
- Ronald Bell – vocals, keyboards, clavinet, ARP synthesizer, percussion, alto saxophone, soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone, alto flute
- Kevin Lassiter – vocals, keyboards, clavinet, Minimoog, percussion
- George Brown – vocals, keyboards, clavinet, drums, percussion
- Dennis Thomas – vocals, keyboards, congas, percussion, alto saxophone
- Claydes Smith – vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, percussion
- Robert "Kool" Bell – vocals, bass guitar, percussion
- Otha Nash – vocals, valve and slide trombones, tuba, percussion
- Robert Mickens – vocals, trumpet, flugelhorn, percussion
- Additional Personnel
- Jimmy J. Jordan – special effects
- Donald Boyce – voice (1, 4)
- Cynthia Huggins – lead vocals (6)
- Female vocals – Renee Connel, Cynthia Huggins, Joan Motley and Beverly Owens
- Arthur Capehart – trumpet (7)
- Strings on 6 & 7 – MFSB; arranged by John Davis
- Producer – K&G Productions
- Arrangements – Kool and The Gang
- Co-Producer – George Brown
- Executive Producers – Ronald Bell and Claydes Smith
- Engineers – Terry Rosiello and Nils Salminen
- Mixing – Ronald Bell, Terry Rosiello and Nils Salminen.
- Recorded at De-Lite Recorded Sound Studio (Philadelphia, PA).
- Mastered at Sterling Sound (New York, NY).
- Cover Painting – DeEs Schwertberger
- ^ Popoff, Martin (September 8, 2009). "Goldmine Record Album Price Guide". Penguin – via Google Books.
- ^ Hamilton, Andrew. "Kool & the Gang: The Force" at AllMusic. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- ^ Larkin, Colin (2006). The Encyclopedia of Popular Music. Vol. 5. MUZE. p. 8.
- ^ The New Rolling Stone Record Guide. Random House. 1983. p. 283.
- ^ "Kool & the Gang". Billboard.
- ^ McGrath, Paul (5 Apr 1978). "Kool and the Gang". The Globe and Mail. p. F2.
- ^ Wynn, Ron (1 Nov 1979). "Shades of Blue". Bay State Banner. p. 19.