The Force (Kool & the Gang album)
|Studio album by|
|Producer||Kool and the Gang|
|Kool & the Gang chronology|
|The Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
|The New Rolling Stone Record Guide|||
The Force is the ninth studio album by the funk band Kool & the Gang, released in 1977.
The Globe and Mail wrote that "it's strange that to this day, black soul musicians are trying to say it better than Sly [Stone] did a decade ago and failing miserably." The Bay State Banner wrote that the album "lacked the excellent jive vocals, hot horn lines and boogie beat arrangements Kool made famous."
|1.||"A Place in Space"||Ronald Bell, Kool & the Gang||4:49|
|2.||"Slick Superchick"||George Brown, Kool & the Gang||4:05|
|3.||"Just Be True"||Ronald Bell, Kool & the Gang||4:21|
|4.||"The Force"||Ronald Bell, Kool & the Gang||4:26|
|1.||"Mighty, Mighty High"||Ronald Bell, Kool & the Gang||6:51|
|2.||"Oasis"||Ronald Bell, Kool & the Gang||6:06|
|3.||"Life's a Song"||Claydes Smith, Kool & the Gang||2:58|
|4.||"Free"||Ronald Bell, Kool & the Gang||2:11|
- Ronald Bell – vocals, keyboards, clavinet, ARP synthesizer, percussion, alto saxophone, soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone, alto flute
- Kevin Lassiter – vocals, keyboards, clavinet, Minimoog, percussion
- George Brown – vocals, keyboards, clavinet, drums, percussion
- Dennis Thomas – vocals, keyboards, congas, percussion, alto saxophone
- Claydes Smith – vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, percussion
- Robert "Kool" Bell – vocals, bass guitar, percussion
- Otha Nash – vocals, valve and slide trombones, tuba, percussion
- Robert Mickens – vocals, trumpet, flugelhorn, percussion
- Additional Personnel
- Jimmy J. Jordan – special effects
- Donal Boyce – voice (1, 4)
- Cynthia Huggins – lead vocals (6)
- Female vocals – Renee Connel, Cynthia Huggins, Joan Motley and Beverly Owens
- Arthur Capehart – trumpet (7)
- Strings on 6 & 7 – MFSB; arranged by John Davis
- Producer – K&G Productions
- Arrangements – Kool and The Gang
- Co-Producer – George Brown
- Executive Producers – Ronald Bell and Claydes Smith
- Engineers – Terry Rosiello and Nils Salminen
- Mixing – Ronald Bell, Terry Rosiello and Nils Salminen.
- Recorded at De-Lite Recorded Sound Studio (Philadelphia, PA).
- Mastered at Sterling Sound (New York, NY).
- Cover Painting – DeEs Schwertberger
- Popoff, Martin (September 8, 2009). "Goldmine Record Album Price Guide". Penguin – via Google Books.
- Hamilton, Andrew. "Kool & the Gang: The Force" at AllMusic. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- Larkin, Colin (2006). The Encyclopedia of Popular Music. Volume 5: MUZE. p. 8.CS1 maint: location (link)
- The New Rolling Stone Record Guide. Random House. 1983. p. 283.
- "Kool & the Gang". Billboard.
- McGrath, Paul (5 Apr 1978). "Kool and the Gang". The Globe and Mail. p. F2.
- Wynn, Ron (1 Nov 1979). "Shades of Blue". Bay State Banner. p. 19.