The Force Behind the Power
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|The Force Behind the Power|
|Studio album by Diana Ross|
|Recorded||1991 (except 11, recorded 1988)|
|Genre||Contemporary R&B, New Jack Swing|
|Producer||Stevie Wonder, Al B. Sure!, James Anthony Carmichael, Peter Asher|
|Diana Ross chronology|
|Singles from The Force Behind the Power|
The Force Behind the Power is a 1991 album, released by Diana Ross on the Motown label. Its first single, "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" became an international hit, reaching #2 in the U.K., #4 in The Netherlands, #4 in Zimbabwe and #6 in Norway as well as making the Top 40 R&B and Adult Contemporary charts in the United States.
In the UK the album certified platinum for sales exceeding 300,000 copies. It yielded five UK top 40 hits, including "One Shining Moment" (UK #10), "If We Hold on Together" (#11), "Heart (Don't change my mind)" (#31, also another top 10 single in Zimbabwe) and the title track (#27). "You're Gonna Love it" reached #24 on the US dance charts as well as charting just outside the top 10 (11) in Zimbabwe, and "Battlefield" became a top 40 it in Poland.
The album also went Gold in Japan and various European territories. 
"If We Hold on Together" was from Don Bluth's 1988 animated adventure film The Land Before Time. It rose to prominence after released as a single worldwide in 1989 (most prominently in Japan in 1990, after it was used as the theme song for the TBS drama Omoide ni Kawaru Made). It reached #1 on the Japanese International single charts for 12 contiguous weeks making it the biggest selling record by a foreign artist; and in total, sold over 465,000 copies.
The international edition of The Force Behind the Power has two additional tracks, "No Matter What You Do," a Top 5 R&B duet with Al B. Sure!, as well as "You And I".
The album was successful enough internationally that Ross' "Here and Now" World Tour lasted nearly two years, often hitting markets twice.
- "Change of Heart" (Terry Britten, Graham Lyle) - 4:02
- "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" (John Bettis, Albert Hammond) - 4:13
- "Battlefield" (Paul Carrack, Nick Lowe) - 3:35
- "Blame It on the Sun" (Stevie Wonder, Syreeta Wright) - 3:55
- "Heavy Weather" (Michael Sembello) - 4:59
- "The Force Behind the Power" (Stevie Wonder) - 4:45
- "Heart (Don't Change My Mind)" (Robbie Buchanan, Diane Warren) - 4:19
- "Waiting in the Wings" (Andy Hill, Pete Sinfield) - 4:52
- "One Shining Moment" (Vaneese Thomas) - 4:48
- "You're Gonna Love It" (Cydney Davis, Lloyd Tolbert) - 5:11
- "If We Hold on Together" (James Horner, Barry Mann, Will Jennings) - 4:09
- "Change of Heart" (Britten, Lyle) - 4:03
- "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" (Bettis, Hammond) - 4:13
- "Battlefield" (Carrack, Lowe) - 3:35
- "Blame It on the Sun" (Wonder, Wright) - 3:55
- "You're Gonna Love It" (Davis, Tolbert) - 5:11
- "Heavy Weather" (Sembello) - 4:59
- "The Force Behind the Power" (Wonder) - 4:42
- "Heart (Don't Change My Mind)" (Buchanan, Warren) - 4:19
- "Waiting in the Wings" (Hill, Sinfield) - 4:52
- "You and I" (Dormer, Goldo, Vigil) - 4:09
- "One Shining Moment" (Thomas) - 4:48
- "If We Hold on Together" (James Horner, Barry Mann, Will Jennings) - 4:13
- "No Matter What You Do" (duet with Al B. Sure!) (Brown, West) - 5:09
- Allmusic review
- "UK Certified Awards Search > Diana Ross". British Phonographic Industry. Archived from the original on 2013-01-11. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "想い出にかわるまで". TBS. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- "イフ・ウイ・ホールド・オン・トゥゲザー - ダイアナ・ロス". Oricon. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- "オリコンランキング情報サービス「you大樹」". Oricon. Retrieved 2010-08-07. (subscription only)