The Forum, Tunbridge Wells
Tunbridge Wells Forum
|Location||Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England, United Kingdom|
|Type||Live music, Arts|
|Opened||1993 (as a music venue)|
The Forum is located on Tunbridge Wells Common, close to the junction of the A26 London Road and Frant Road, opposite the King Charles the Martyr church and The Pantiles. It is approximately five minutes walk from Tunbridge Wells station.
The Forum was the brainchild of four friends: Michael Oyarzabal, Peter Hoare, Jason Dormon, and Mark Davyd, two of whom had previously been involved with the Rumble Club, an irregular music event that took place in a variety of locations in Tunbridge Wells during the period 1988 to 1992 – bringing bands such as The Boo Radleys, Lush and Green Day to the area. It was the success of The Rumble Club that prompted them to seek a permanent location for their own venue.
The Forum opened as a new music venue in January 1993 in a building on Tunbridge Wells Common which was previously used as a public toilet and a brass rubbing centre. It has since hosted a number of acts who have gone on to achieve significant commercial success.
In 2012, the NME voted the venue as Britain's Best Small Venue.
Notable acts who have appeared at The Forum
Many acts have appeared at The Forum, towards the beginning of careers that saw them go onto significant commercial success. These have included Adele, Biffy Clyro, Coldplay, Ellie Goulding, Green Day, The Libertines, Mumford & Sons, Muse, Daniel Russell, Oasis, Royal Blood,, The Vaccines, We Are Scientists and Wolf Alice.
In addition, The Forum has been used as a venue for more established acts who are playing warmup or smaller shows. These have included Ash, The Divine Comedy, Enter Shikari, Foals, Frank Turner, Graham Coxon, Joeyfat, Keane, and Wheatus
- "Tunbridge Wells' Forum scores NME top music venue award". 8 May 2012.
-  10 Years of the Forum, mrgig.com, 2003
- "madasafish". Archived from the original on 9 September 2010.
- "The IoS Happy List 2010 - the 100". 25 April 2010.
- Knott, Alex (8 May 2012). "Tunbridge Wells' Forum wins NME top music venue award - Music News".
- "Upbringing: Everything Everything".
- "Sold-out homecoming gig a dream come true for Kent punks Slaves". 19 February 2015.
- Photos of Biffy Clyro at the Forum from avangelistphotography.com https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tunbridge-wells-forum-scores-nme-top-music-venue-award-7720505.html
- "New forum set up for music scene in Tunbridge Wells". 5 March 2010.
- "Ellie Goulding, The Forum, Tunbridge WellsAbbaworld, Earls Court,". 31 January 2010.
- "Green Day in Tunbridge Wells, England - May 03, 1993".
- "Tunbridge Wells Forum Gig - The Libertines".
- http://muse.mu/tour-dates,the-forum-tunbridge-wells-uk_791.htm https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tunbridge-wells-forum-scores-nme-top-music-venue-award-7720505.html
- "Oasis and Whiteout at The Forum (26 Mar 94)".
- "Royal Blood - The Forum, Tunbridge Wells".
- jonunt (21 February 2011). "THE VACCINES - WRECKIN' BAR - 210211 - FORUM TUN. WELLS" – via YouTube.
- "Photo of We Are Scientists @ The Forum".
- "Live Review: Wolf Alice // The Forum, Tunbridge Wells – 23.08.17". 24 August 2017.
- Advert for Ash gig at TW Forum Archived 12 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "Enter Shikari".
- "Home - Frank Turner".
- "Joeyfat @ Forum review at drownedinsound".
- "Wheatus at The Forum (Royal Tunbridge Wells) on 21 Jun 2010". Last.fm.[unreliable source?]