Harry Carey in the film
|Directed by||John Ford|
|Written by||George C. Hull|
|Cinematography||Harry M. Fowler|
|Distributed by||Universal Film Manufacturing Company|
|Language||Silent with English intertitles|
As described in a film publication summary, the Stranger (Carey) comes to town of Broken Buckle to start a gambling hall. The Headlight, the existing gambling hall, is crooked, and the Stranger wants to start a straight one. He meets Zoe Whipple (Ferguson) who is attempting to reform the town and teaches school out of her home. Misunderstandings arise between the Stranger and Zoe that are brought about by Denver Red (Le Moyne), proprietor of the Headlight. After Zoe pleads with the Stranger not to start a new gambling den, the Stranger opens it to the public, but it turns out to be a new library and school. After running Denver out of town, the Stranger wins Zoe.
- Harry Carey as Ohio, the Stranger
- Helen Ferguson as Zoe Whipple
- Joe Harris as Headlight Whipple
- Charles Le Moyne as Denver Red
- J. Farrell MacDonald as Bobtail McGuire
- Lydia Yeamans Titus as Mrs. McGuire
- "Progressive Silent Film List: The Freeze-Out". Silent Era. Retrieved 2008-03-01.
- "The Freeze-Out: The Star is Good, But Story Is Tame". Film Daily (New York City: Wyd's Films and Film Folks, Inc.) 16 (10): 9. Apr 10, 1921. Retrieved 2014-03-19.