The Fresh Grocer
|Founder||Patrick J. Burns|
Number of locations
|Philadelphia, PA, Delaware|
|Patrick J. Burns (President and CEO), The Fresh Grocer |
Joseph S. Colalillo (Chairman and CEO, Wakefern Food Corp.
Number of employees
|Parent||Wakefern Food Corporation|
The Fresh Grocer is a supermarket chain based in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania that operates seven stores in Delaware, the Greater Philadelphia region of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Founded in 1996 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as an independent company, the company joined the Wakefern Food Corporation, a retailer's cooperative, in 2013.
The Fresh Grocer opened in 1996 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Fresh Grocer has locations on Walnut Street and Broad Street in North Philadelphia. On August 1, 2013, Wakefern acquired The Fresh Grocer. One of the stores was converted to the ShopRite name while the others retained the Fresh Grocer name.
Wakefern members Patrick Burns and Jeff Brown will open four new Fresh Grocer stores in March 2016, all in former Pathmark stores that were purchased at auction. The stores will be opened in Wyncote, Upper Darby, Brookhaven, and Monument Avenue in Philadelphia.
Since 2001, the University of Pennsylvania made efforts to remove The Fresh Grocer from its Walnut Street location. In 2017, The Fresh Grocer was asked to vacate the property after failing to renew its lease. The grocery store sued University of Pennsylvania maintaining its intention to stay at the location.
In 2018, Governor of Pennsylvania, Tom Wolf spoke at The Fresh Grocer regarding boost pay in Pennsylvania allowing "hundreds of thousands of additional salaried employees eligible for overtime pay".
- "About Us". shop.thefreshgrocer.com. Retrieved 2018-01-29.
- Springer, Jon. "Fresh Grocer Joins Wakefern Co-op". Supermarket News. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- Laura Ingraham (13 July 2010). The Obama Diaries. Simon and Schuster. pp. 167–. ISBN 978-1-4391-9844-5.
- Erin Vans (1 February 2017). Duplicity and Duress: Snap Factories in the Making. BookBaby. pp. 287–. ISBN 978-1-4835-9211-4.
- "Fresh Grocer to join Shop Rite's supplier, Wakefern Food Corp".
- "Wakefern Reports Record Sales; 16 New Units In Real Estate Plan". Food Trade News. 2 August 2013. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- Adelman, Jacob (11 April 2017). "Penn, Fresh Grocer are taking each other to court over U. City supermarket site". Philly.com. Retrieved 2018-01-29.
- Levy, Marc (2018-01-17). "Wolf Taking Steps to Expand Who Gets OT Pay in Pennsylvania". US News & World Report. Retrieved 2018-01-29.
- Lindstrom, Natasha (2018-01-17). "Wolf proposes controversial overhaul of Pennsylvania's overtime rules". TribLIVE.com. Retrieved 2018-01-29.