The Frights in 2018 (left to right): Richard Dotson, Jordan Clark, Mikey Carnevale and Marc Finn.
|Origin||Poway, California, United States|
The Frights are an American surf punk band consisting of lead vocalist and guitarist Mikey Carnevale, bassist Richard Dotson, drummer Marc Finn and guitarist Jordan Clark.
The Frights were formed in 2012 by lead vocalist/guitarist Mikey Carnevale, bassist Richard Dotson, and drummer Adam Lomnitzer as a simple time-killer project following the trio's graduation from high school. Their musical style mixed elements of surf, classic punk, and doo-wop, resulting in "tunes that managed to be catchy, aggressive, and playfully ridiculous all at once."[This quote needs a citation]
The band separated shortly after formation, with all three members attending college, but rejoined in December 2012 to play a one-off show during Christmas break. The intent was to disband once again after this show, but the band were approached by an audience member who offered to sign the band to local label Postmark Records.
The Frights released their first single “Hippie Lips” on the Postmark Records YouTube channel in February 2013. In March 2013, The Frights' debut EP Dead Beach was released by Postmark. This was followed by their second EP, Fur Sure, in May 2013, and their self-titled debut studio album in October 2013.
The Frights signed with indie label Dangerbird Records in 2015. Subsequently, they released their sophomore studio album You Are Going To Hate This, produced by FIDLAR frontman Zac Carper, in February 2016. The release of You Are Going To Hate This marked the replacement of Lomnitzer with new drummer Marc Finn.
In February, 2018 The Frights returned to the studio with Carper to record their third studio album Hypochondriac, this marked a shift in lyrical themes and musical style, with frontman Mikey Carnevale writing more personal songs about relationships and mental health. The album was the band's first album for Epitaph Records, as well as their first album to feature lead guitarist Jordan Clark. Hypochondriac was released August 24, 2018 to mixed critical reception.
- Mikey Carnevale – lead vocals, guitar (2012–present)
- Richard Dotson – bass guitar, vocals (2012–present)
- Marc Finn – drums (2014–present)
- Jordan Clark – guitar (2017–present)
- Adam Lomnitzer – drums (2012–2014)
- Former touring members
- Ryan Ward – guitar, drums (2014–2016)
- Studio Albums
- The Frights (2013)
- You Are Going To Hate This (2016)
- Hypochondriac (2018)
- Dead Beach (2013)
- Fur Sure (2013)
- DeathFrights (2014) (split with Death Lens)
- Live at the Observatory (2019)
- "Tungs"/"Puppy Knuckles" (2014)
- "Christmas Everyday" (2016)
- "Valentine's Sux" (2018)
- "CRUTCH" (2018)
- "The Frights - Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 23, 2016. Retrieved December 17, 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "The Frights". Postmark records. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- "Album Review: The Frights "Hypochondriac"". Stitched Sound. August 27, 2018. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- Records, Epitaph, The Frights - Hypochondriac, retrieved September 5, 2019
- Corcoles, Elizabeth. "The Frights' 'Hypochondriac' is effortlessly mediocre". Talon Marks. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- "Hypochondriac - The Frights | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- Records, Epitaph, The Frights - Live At The Observatory, retrieved September 5, 2019