The Fringe Dwellers
|Followed by||Green Gold|
|The Fringe Dwellers|
|Directed by||Bruce Beresford|
|Produced by||Sue Milliken|
|Written by||Bruce Beresford
|Music by||George Dreyfus|
|Edited by||Tim Wellburn|
|Box office||$174,433 (Australia)|
A young Aboriginal girl dreams of life beyond the family camp that sits on the fringe of white society. The Fringe Dwellers is acclaimed as being the first Australian film featuring Indigenous actors in all the major roles. The Fringe Dwellers received critical and international success when it was released in 1986, but gained only a lukewarm reception in Australia.
- Justine Saunders as Mollie Comeaway
- Kristina Nehm as Trilby Comeaway
- Kylie Belling as Noonah Comeaway
- Bob Maza as Joe Comeaway
- Denis Walker as Bartie Comeaway
- Ernie Dingo as Phil
- Marlene Bell as Hannah
- Malcolm Silva as Charlie
- Michele Miles as Blanchie
- Michelle Torres as Audrena
- Lisa-Jane Stockwell as Matron
- Gordon Beitzel as the Publican
Beresford had been interested in making a film from the novel since he read it in the mid 1970s, buying his copy at a second hand London book shop. Funding was difficult to raise but eventually was done through the Australian Film Commission and Queensland Film Corporation.
The film was nominated for seven AFI Awards and won for the Best Adapted Screenplay (Bruce Beresford, Rhoisin Beresford). It was also entered into the 1986 Cannes Film Festival. Some Aboriginal activists walked out of the screening at Cannes.
The Fringe Dwellers grossed $174,433 at the box office in Australia.
- Nene Gare, The Fringe Dwellers, Sun Books, Melbourne, 1966 (first published by Heinemann, London, 1961).
- Geoff Gardner, "The Fringe Dwellers", Australian Film 1978-1992, Oxford Uni Press, 1993 p197
- Australianscreen - info
- David Stratton, The Avocado Plantation: Boom and Bust in the Australian Film Industry, Pan MacMillan, 1990 p202-204
- "Festival de Cannes: The Fringe Dwellers". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 11 July 2009.
- Film Victoria - Australian Films at the Australian Box Office
- Murray, Scott, ed. (1994). Australian Cinema. St.Leonards, NSW.: Allen & Unwin/AFC. p. 252. ISBN 1-86373-311-6.
- The Fringe Dwellers on IMDb
- The Fringe Dwellers at the Australian screen
- The Fringe Dwellers at Oz Movies
|This article related to an Australian film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|