The Future Is Wild (TV series)
|The Future Is Wild|
|Developed by||Steve Sullivan|
|Written by||Doug Molitor|
|Directed by||Mike Fallows|
|Creative director(s)||Mike Fallows|
|Theme music composer||Sarah Hallaman|
|Opening theme||Volcano Music by Sarah Hallman|
|Country of origin||
|No. of episodes||26 (list of episodes)|
Eric Chan Meng Koo
Derek Reeves Chua Woo Scott Dyer Doug Murphy
|Location(s)||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Original release||October 13, 2007– August 2008|
The Future is Wild is an animated children's version of Canadian 2003 joint Animal Planet/ORF (Austria) and ZDF (Germany) co-production The Future Is Wild. It was developed by Nelvana Animation, and directed by Mike Fallows, with characters and creatures designed by Brett Jubinville. It is made in CGI animation. It features four teenagers (CG, Luis, Emily and Ethan) who study the future of the earth to find a new habitat for humanity, while learning about the futuristic creatures who inhabit it. The show ran for one 26 episode season. It utilizes creatures speculated about in the original version of The Future Is Wild, albeit with highly fictionalized elements.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Reception
- 3 Devices used
- 4 Characters
- 5 Animal characters
- 6 Episodes
- 7 Broadcast
- 8 References
- 9 External links
10,000 years in the future, humanity is threatened by a mega ice age. Cassiopeia G. (nicknamed C.G. by her friends) is sent on the Timeflyer to find a new habitat for humanity. While in the Northern Forest, a Squibbon has stowed away on the Timeflyer, accidentally transporting C.G. to the 21st Century. Once there, C.G. is greeted by three kids: Ethan, Emily, and Luis. They accompany her on her mission.
The show has garnered strong ratings on both the American and Canadian partners of Discovery Kids, leading to worldwide distributions, including the United Kingdom, Russia, Germany, Portugal, Romania, Turkey, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine and the Middle East. Episodes are also available on certain airlines and online.
- Time Flyer - A vehicle that transports to different eras of time through vortexes, the navigation system tells what the era is, C.G. is the one who pilots it.
- InfoStation - A larger, more thorough version of the holodat that is contained in the Time Flyer
- Holodat - A portable device that shows the species of an animal and other information.
- Chameliographic Helmet - A device that C.G, Luis, Emily, and Ethan use for turning into other animals, it scans the animal first and then creates a holographic image around the user to mimic the animal.
- Communicator - The crew wears them on their wrists to communicate to each other. In "Sweet Home Pangaea II" it revealed that it also has a force field function.
- Dune Skimmer - A jetski-like vehicle used for fast travel over harsh conditions like sand, snow, and water.
- Molecular Compressor - A device that can alter an object or person's size. The effects wear off in about an hour.
- Cameras - compact, disc-shaped cameras.
- Pump and Hose
- Solar Sequencer- Traps solar energy for later use.
- Glacier Sampler- Sucks up sticks of ice for study.
- Hyper-solidifying Polymer Dispenser- shoots out a substance that surrounds a target and hardens into a glass-like material.
|Character||Voice Actor||Character Info|
|CG||Ashley Peters||The Time Flyer's captain. Her original time is 12,000 AD. She is often cautious and robotic in nature, but as she spends more time with Emily, Luis, and Ethan, she becomes more open and expressive. She is arachnophobic and she also may have asthma. Her full name is Cassiopeia G. She is hinted at possibly having a particular romantic affinity for Luis. Both the streaks in her hair and eyes are blue. She is born with lines beside her left eye. It was suspected that her mother died before she met the crew.|
|Emily||Miranda Jones||The motherly animal lover of the crew, she tries to see the best qualities in both animals and people. She takes care of Squibbon and they both adore each other. She is hinted at possibly having a particular romantic affinity for Ethan. Her eyes are green. Her full name is Emily Lonartae. She has a twin sister.|
|Ethan||Marc Donato||Ethan is adventurous and daring, he is willing to do most of the more dangerous tasks that the crew's mission provides, taking them as a challenge. Ethan often cracks bad jokes and teases Luis of his overly-cautious attitude. In the episode "Phantom Fear!" it is shown he is claustrophobic. His eyes are blue. Ethan is hinted at possibly having a particular romantic affinity for Emily too. His full name is Ethan Bolato.|
|Luis||Taylor Abrahamse||Luis is arguably the smartest in the crew and prefers to stay in the ship to avoid the future's hostile environments and dangerous creatures. He often freaks out and is slightly obsessive over hygiene and germs. His full name is Luis Calabasas. His eyes are brown. Luis is hinted at possibly having a particular romantic affinity for CG.|
|Squibbon||Richard Binsely||Sometimes called Squibby. He stowed away on the TimeFlyer on CG's first mission. As shown in the episode "A Ghost in the Machine " he is much smarter than he looks. He refers to the others as his "hairy heads".|
|CG's father||Cedric Smith||The father of CG. He informs C.G. of what the crew's mission objectives are in each environment. He doesn't know that Squibbon is with them, until "Sweet Home Pangaea II". It is often shown he doesn't approve of C.G. bringing Ethan, Emily, and Luis along, often calling them "primitives". Like his daughter, his eyes are blue and has lines beside his left eye.|
5 million years
- Babookaris – Dex, Alpha and their Troop- seen in episode 11. Unnamed Babookaris seen in episodes 18, 24 and 26.
- Carakillers – Psuebo, Zodek, Zaba, Zork, and Zobo- seen in episode 18. Unnamed Carakillers seen in episodes 11,24,25 and 26
- Rattlebacks – Unnamed Rattleback, seen in episodes 11, 25 and 26.
Northern European Ice
- Shagrats – Arb or Shaggy, herd leader and herd- seen in episode 12.Unnamed Shagrats seen in episode 25.
- Snowstalkers – Unnamed Snowstalker seen in 12 and 20. Snowball - seen in 26.
- Gannetwhales – Beaker, Doop, Tooby and Tooby's mom - seen in episode 20. Unnamed Gannetwhales seen in episode 26.
100 million years
- Lurkfish – Gill and Butch- seen in episode 1.Unnamed Lurkfish seen in episode 5 and 6.
- Swampus – unnamed, seen in episodes 1, baby and her Mother seen in episode 6. Unnamed Swampus seen in episodes 5 and 17.
- Toratons – Tika, Tonk (infants), and Their mother, Tory - seen in episodes 5 & 17. Max and Stoney- seen in episode 4. Unnamed Toratons seen in 10 and 25.
- Roachcutters – unnamed Roachcutter, seen in episodes 2,16,17 and 22.
- Spitfire Birds – Spritz- seen in episodes 16 and 22. Unnamed Spitfire Bird seen in 2, 17, 25.
- Spitfire Beetles –Nix and his Friend- seen in episode 2.
- Falconflies – Lance and his Friend, seen in episodes 2, 16, 17 and 22.
- False Spitfire Birds – Simile, Flitter, and Beaky - seen in episode 16.
- Great Blue Windrunners – Big blue, Snip and Snap, seen in episode 3. Unnamed great blue windrunner seen in 17 and 25.
- Silver Spiders – Zaga, Zuma, and Zeke, seen in episodes 7 and 17. Unnamed Sliver Spider seen in 2.
- Poggles– Gad seen in episode 7. Unnamed Poggle seen in 17.
- Reef Gliders – Bloatus and Bobber - seen in episode 8. Unnamed reef gliders seen in episode 17 and 25.
- Ocean Phantoms – unnamed, seen in episodes 8, 15, 17 and 25.
- Spindletroopers – Claude, Slkae and Other Spindletroopers seen in episode 15 and unnamed spindletrooper seen in episode 8.
200 million years
- Terabytes – Torq (rock borer) and Tog, his transporter-all seen in episode 13.Unnamed Terabytes seen in episode 9 and 19.
- Garden Worms – unnamed Garden Worms, seen in episodes 9, 13 and 19.
- Slickribbons – Philo and Polly- seen in episode 19.
- Gloomworms – unnamed Gloomworms, seen in episode 19.
- Squibbons – Squibby or Squibbon - seen in episodes 1 through 26. Uli, Rondo and Zet - seen in episode 14. Oqnga and Oqtz seen in episodes 24 and 25. Buzzy and his Mom & Dad - seen in episodes 24 and 25. Unnamed Squibbons seen in episode 21.
- Forest Flish – unnamed flocks seen in episode 14. Flare and Fleck seen in episode 23. Unnamed Flish seen in episodes 21 and 24.
- Megasquids – Unnamed Megasquid, seen in episodes 10, 14, and 23. Mega and her male friend seen in episode 21. Unnamed Megasquid seen in episodes 24 and 25.
- Slithersucker – unnamed, seen in episodes 14, 21 and 23.
|Title||Original air date|
|1||"Electric Fisherman"||October 13, 2007|
|The crew must lure and use two lurkfish to jump start the Time Flyer or be stuck in the Bengal swamp, 100 million years in the future. Gill and Butch, two hungry lurkfish, argue over who gets to eat Ethan.|
|2||"Extreme Bird Watching"||October 13, 2007|
|Ethan goes alone bird watching in an Antarctic rain forest, and is attacked by falconflies. Nix, an overconfident spitfire beetle, is trying to find his friends when they are separated.|
|3||"Sky High Anxiety"||October 20, 2007|
|CG tries to launch a weather station 100 million years in the future, but a great blue windrunner crashes into it and now they must find a way to take care of both her and her chicks.|
|4||"Toratonnage"||October 27, 2007|
|While the crew's time flyer is stuck in mud, Luis stays to try to fix it while the rest of them investigate an unusual heat source. Meanwhile, an elderly Toraton,Stoney, trying to reach a Toraton Graveyard, falls asleep on the time flyer thinking it's a rock.|
|5||"Think Big"||November 3, 2007|
|The crew accidentally knock a Toraton mom on her back and Luis becomes a de facto parent to a pair of Toraton infants.|
|6||"Squibbon See, Squibbon Do"||November 11, 2007|
|While the crew is in the Bengal swamp 100 million years in the future, the always playful Squibbon runs off with the telecommunicator key which is the only way CG can communicate with her father. Squibbon tries to get the key back from a Swampus.|
|7||"A Poggle's Not a Pet...Yet"||December 1, 2007|
|Emily attempts to do some girl bonding with CG in the Great Plateau 100 million years in the future, but they wind up in a situation where they're really going to be closer than ever. A poggle named Geb is suspicious about the Silver spiders who look after him and his friends after a few go missing.|
|8||"Phantom Fear"||December 15, 2007|
|Ethan must confront his claustrophobia and C.G. her arachnophobia when the Time Flyer becomes stuck under an ocean phantom and the crew has to deal with the ocean phantom's tentacles and hungry reef gliders. A cautious reef glider named Bobber is reluctant to chow down on the ocean phantom after hearing tales of their various weapons and defenses.|
|9||"The Future Is Underground"||January 19, 2008|
|When blasting forward 200 million years in the future, The time flyer crash lands in a desert wasteland and loses most of its water. Luis shrinks Emily, C.G. and Ethan so they can search a terabyte mound for water. A transporter terabyte tries to gain equality with a warrior terabyte.|
|10||"Be True to Your Crew"||February 2, 2008|
|The team discovers that C.G. is secretly trying to reactivate her former robot crew members. In this episode, we learn how C.G. met Ethan, Emily, Luis and Squibbon.|
|11||"Sign of the Time Flyer"||February 16, 2008|
|The kids encounter the last primate on Earth: the Babookari. Also, Dex, a Babookari is showing some interest in Emily and the Other "No-Tails", much to the displeasure of the troop leader, Alpha.|
|12||"De-Tour de France"||March 1, 2008|
|The kids land on the North European Ice in search of an alloy to repair the time flyer. Also, Art, a lazy shagrat herds up with Luis and Ethan after he is separated from his real herd.|
|13||"Night Crawlers"||March 15, 2008|
|The kids disagree with C.G.'s decision to leave Pangaea 2. C.G. feels she is not a capable leader. Also, Torq, a rock borer terabyte is curious about the big open outside his home.|
|14||"Sweet Home Pangaea II"||March 29, 2008|
|CG's dad tells her to study Squibbons unaware that they hid one. While visiting the Northern Forest in 200 million AD, the crew finds that Squibby has forgotten his basic survival skills and consider teaching him and then releasing him. Squibby makes friends with other Squibbons after one of them saves him from a Megasquid.|
|15||"Shallow Pals"||April 5, 2008|
|C.G. gives herself, Luis,and Emily food poisoning so Ethan and Squibbon go to investigate an ocean phantom they think is someone's boat. Also, a spindletrooper is unsure of what to defend his ocean phantom from, and so is his leader.|
|16||"Parent Trap"||April 12, 2008|
|C.G. tests a fast growing crop in the Antarctic Forest, 100 million years in the future. Simile, a false spitfire bird must defend her eggs from spitfire birds and (so she thinks) Emily and Ethan. In this episode, it is hinted that CG and Luis have a crush on each other. Also Ethan may like Emily, by the way he tried to protect her from the false spitfire bird and blushed when she thought it was a hug.|
|17||"Around the World In 80 Minutes"||April 19, 2008|
|Luis leaves behind geocaches for other time travelers. He doesn't however, know that he made them out of a toxic material. The crew must find one in all the environments of 100 million AD in 80 minutes.|
|18||"Monkey Brains"||April 26, 2008|
|Ethan dares C.G. to use the chameliographic helmet to spend time with the babookari and prove she can be silly and wild. After an accident with some carakillers, C.G.'s brain is implanted with babookari behavior patterns. Zodek, the carakiller hunt leader is demoted after being afraid of the "lightning monkey" (C.G. with the chameliographic helmet) that zapped him and Subo, the new hunt leader, tries to rekindle his spirit.|
|19||"Swimming With Slickribbons"||May 10, 2008|
|The kids can't leave the Central Desert until they wash the Time Flyer. Also, a tough slickribbon named Philo who wants "a meal with a challenge" gets more than he bargained for when he chases a miniaturized Luis in the flooded Time Flyer.|
|20||"Scared Safe"||May 17, 2008|
|After an accident on a glacier 5 million years in the future, C.G. becomes overly protective of the crew. Also, a curious gannetwhale named Tooby investigates the Time Flyer and gets himself, Emily, Ethan, Luis and Squibbon cornered by a snowstalker.|
|21||"He Might Be Giant"||May 24, 2008|
|A tree falls on the Time Flyer and the crew uses the molecular compressor to make Ethan large enough to move it. Then, Ethan (still a giant) befriends a megasquid.|
|22||"Ghost in the Machine"||May 31, 2008|
The kids test a falconfly repellent. All compounds are unsuccessful, except for a mystery mixture found by C.G. Also, things are being lost and the Time Flyer is moving on its own. What's more, the crew are seeing ghostly copies of themselves. Later it is found that Squibbon has learned to control the Time Flyer and chameliographic helmet and mixed the successful falconfly repellent. He also finds an egg in an unknown era that begins to hatch.Note: The egg Squibbon brought on board was the same egg from the show's logo.
|23||"Cure For The Common Megasquid Cold"||June 7, 2008|
|Luis believes he has a megasquid disease. Squibbon helps a forest flish from a slithersucker, and the flish tries to convince his friends that Squibby is a good Squibbon.|
|24||"Queen of the Squibbons, Part 1"||June 21, 2008|
|During a trip to the Northern Forest of 200 million years A.D., Emily discovers a baby squibbon who's been orphaned during a Megasquid attack.|
|25||"Queen of the Squibbons, Part 2"||July 5, 2008|
|The crew is trying to get back to the Northern Forest of 200 million years A.D where they left Emily, but they are facing some problems.|
|26||"Snowstalker in a Strange Land"||August 2008|
|After counting the populations of animals of The Great Northern European ice the crew heads to the Amazon Grasslands not knowing that a Snowstalker has snuck on board.|
The show first aired on Teletoon on June 28, 2010; it made its debut in the US on Discovery Kids on October 13, 2007 and ended on July 5, 2008. It continued to air on the network until October 9, 2010. The Hub aired reruns of the show on The Hub since October 16, 2010 until June 24, 2012.
- "Teletoon’s July Programming Highlights". Channel Canada. 2010-06-28. Retrieved 2013-08-13.