The Galena Territory, Illinois
|The Galena Territory, Illinois|
|• Total||4.370 sq mi (11.32 km2)|
|• Land||3.714 sq mi (9.62 km2)|
|• Water||0.656 sq mi (1.70 km2)|
|Elevation||899 ft (274 m)|
|• Density||240/sq mi (93/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||815 & 779|
|GNIS feature ID||2583443|
The Galena Territory is a census-designated place in Jo Daviess County, Illinois, United States. Its population was 1,058 as of the 2010 census. The community consists of a private 6,800-acre (28 km2) development located several miles southeast of downtown Galena. The territory, which is managed by a homeowners association, has set aside 1,500 acres (6.1 km2) of protected recreational land. The remainder is filled with low-density residential development and the Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa. As of December 28, 2011, there were 4,121 property owners. As of December 28, 2011, there are 443 permanent residents with 1,067 vacation residents.
Owners' Club Complex
The Owners' Club Complex has many amenities, including indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts, a gymnasium, game room, snack bar, and meeting rooms. Renovations were made in the 2011-2012 offseason.
Lake Galena & Marina
Lake Galena is a popular lake to fish and boat in. Swimming is prohibited due to high amounts of E. Coli. There are many fish species including Bass, Walleye, and Catfish. Boats are available for rental from the marina.
Trails & Greenspace
The Galena Territory has reserved about 1,500 acres of greenspace with over 40 miles of trails running throughout the territory. These areas are sections of the territory that will never be developed to conserve the natural environment.
Shenandoah Riding Center
The Shenandoah Riding Center offers horseback riding. Along with other activities, trail rides and riding lessons are offered for a fee.
Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa
Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa is located lakeside in the center of the Galena Territory. There are 80 rooms in the main lodge, and over 300 private villas. The resort is best known for its 63 holes of championship golf, including "The General", which Golf Digest ranked No. 41 in the 2007-2008 "America's 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses."
There are six restaurants in the resort area. They include:
- Woodlands Restaurant & Lounge - Main Lodge - Formal & Casual Dining
- Woodstone Restaurant - Clubhouse of the The General Golf Course - Casual Dining
- Paisanos - Main Lodge - Pizza and Ice Cream Parlor
- Eagle Ridge Coffee Shop - Main Lodge - Starbucks Coffee
- North, East & South Golf Clubhouses - Golf Course Clubhouses - Casual Dining
- The General Store Bakery & Deli - Outside the Main Lodge - Groceries & Gasoline
- "American FactFinder". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved April 5, 2011.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: The Galena Territory, Illinois
- Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa. "About Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa". Archived from the original on July 18, 2006. Retrieved January 4, 2007.
- The Galena Territory Association (January 4, 2007). "Greenspace & Trails". Retrieved January 4, 2007.
- The Galena Territory Association (January 4, 2007). "Association Info". Retrieved January 4, 2007.
- February 2012 Territory Times
- "Lake Galena & Marina Frequently Asked Questions". The Galena Territory. The Galena Territory Association. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- "Greenspace & Trails". The Galena Territory. The Galena Territory Association. Retrieved 7 June 2012.