The Garden (Take That song)
|Single by Take That|
|from the album The Circus|
|Released||20 March 2009|
|Genre||Pop rock, Adult contemporary|
|Length||5:07 (album version)
3:22 (Radio Edit)
|Songwriter(s)||Jamie Norton, Benjamin Mark Weaver, Gary Barlow, Howard Donald, Mark Owen|
|Producer(s)||Take That, John Shanks|
|Take That singles chronology|
Released on 20 March 2009, it is the third single from the album The Circus. Its B-Side is 84, the same B-Side of their preceding single Up All Night, and is sung by Jason Orange. Mark Owen confessed to Observer Music Monthly that his wish to sing this song's bridge didn't come to fruition. Said Owen: "I was hoping it'd be my role, you know: [He sings] "Everyone! Everyone!" I was really looking forward to that... and as we were getting to it, I was getting ready to sing, and... Howard sung it. And it sounded... better."
The band performed "The Garden" on BBC's Comic Relief show on 13 March 2009. The song has been performed on Mooi Weer de leeuw in the Netherlands on 14 March 2009. The song was then performed on Swiss television on the show Music Stars on 15 March 2009. The group then made an appearance on the Italian version of The X Factor on 17 March 2009. The band also performed the song on German TV show Wetten, dass..? on 21 March 2009. The band then performed the track at the final of The X Factor, Denmark on 27 March 2009.
The video for "The Garden" debuted on 21 March 2009, with all members singing lead vocals. The video for the song was shot at the Greenwich Maritime Museum, South London. The video is black and white and shows the band dressed in black performing the song. The video is interspersed with blurred images of people going about their daily lives. In the official Take That book Take Two the band expresses their dislike for the video, claiming that it worked with still images but as a music video, it did not work.
A physical version of the single was released in Europe. The single was available on two CDs, both containing the same track listing, however a Limited Edition CD2, housed in a large jewel case, contained an exclusive foam car sticker of the TT logo, with 'The Garden' written underneath.
- Gary Barlow – co-lead vocals
- Howard Donald – co-lead vocals, backing vocals
- Jason Orange – co-lead vocals, backing vocals
- Mark Owen – co-lead vocals, backing vocals
- "The Garden" (radio edit) – 3:22
- "84" – 3:11
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||48|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||20|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||73|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||36|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||97|
- "Austriancharts.at – Take That – The Garden" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Danishcharts.com – Take That – The Garden". Tracklisten.
- "Musicline.de – Take That Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Take That – The Garden" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Take That – The Garden". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Take That: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company.