The Garden Gang
This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Garden Gang was a series of books for children written by Jayne Fisher. They were published by Ladybird Books during the late 1970s and early 1980s as Series 413 and later re-issued as Series 793. Fourteen story books were written, each containing two short stories about a group of characters who were fruit and vegetables living an almost human life, selling over 8 million copies. In addition to the fourteen story books, there were also three other books - an annual and two colouring books. Fisher's books were not dissimilar to the popular Munch Bunch series, also devised by a young girl, the fourteen-year-old Angela Mitson.
There are fourteen story books:
- Penelope Strawberry and Roger Radish (1979)
- Percival Pea and Polly Pomegranate (1979)
- Oliver Onion and Tim Tomato (1979)
- Wee Willie Watermelon and Betty Beetroot (1979)
- Lucy Leek and Bertie Brussels Sprout (1979)
- Gertrude Gooseberry and Belinda Blackcurrant (1979)
- Colin Cucumber and Patrick Pear (1980)
- Peter Potato and Alice Apple (1980)
- Pam Parsnip and Lawrence Lemon (1980)
- Grace Grape and Robert Raspberry (1980)
- Sheila Shallot and Benny Broadbean (1980)
- Avril Apricot and Simon Swede (1980)
- Pedro Pepper and The Cherry Twins (1983)
- Oscar Orange and Augustus Aubergine (1983)
A larger and relatively hard-to-find story book (or annual):
Two colouring books:
- "The Garden Gang". Easy on the eye. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- Collins, Maria C (2009-12-27). "Why age is not a barrier to writing". helium.com. Missing or empty
- http://www.theweeweb.co.uk/public/ladybird_authors.php?id=965 Jayne Fisher biography and books at The Wee Web
- Koomson, Dorothy (2011-05-08). "Why I Write". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- Lord, Damon (2009-01-17). "How Jayne "Garden Gang" Fisher was my inspiration to write". damonlord.net. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- Meet the garden gang / by Jayne Fisher; additional material, based on Jayne Fisher's characters, created by Lynne Bradbury and Graham Marlow. National Library of Australia. 1981. ISBN 9780721475172. Retrieved 2012-06-29.