The Garrick Inn, Stratford-upon-Avon
The Garrick Inn is a pub in Stratford-upon-Avon, England, located at 25 High Street, next door to Harvard House. It is reputedly the oldest pub in the town.[a] The Garrick is located along Stratford's Historic Spine.
The precise date of the construction of the current building is not known. However, it is considered to be 1596 with parts dating back to the 14th century, making it one of the oldest buildings in Stratford-upon-Avon. It is Grade II* listed, a listing for properties which 'are particularly important buildings of more than special interest.' Restoration of the property took place in around 1912, when a brick front added in about 1800, was replaced. Restoration also took place in 2005.
It is thought that a bout of plague may have started within the original inn in 1564 after a weaver's apprentice, Oliver Gunn, died of the disease there. The phrase 'hic incepit pestis' which translates as 'here begins the plague' were written in Gunn's burial entry. However, it is unclear whether these words were added to the burial register in order to indicate the local plague outbreak starting at this location.
Notes and references
- Other pubs in Stratford also make the claim of being the oldest in the town. However, given the original building on this site dates back to the 14th century and there was an inn before the current building was constructed, it is possibly true that The Garrick is the oldest. It is also possible that other pubs were officially licensed before the Garrick.
- Sources show it was called The Greyhound and The Reindeer. However, it is unclear when each name was used.
- "Pub Explorer.com - The Garrick Inn". Pub-Explorer.com. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- Ross, David. "Britain Express - Garrick Inn". BritainExpress.com. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Listed Buildings". HistoricEngland.org.uk. Retrieved 31 December 2015.
- "Garrick Inn". historicengland.org.uk. Retrieved 2 January 2016.
- "The borough of Stratford-upon-Avon: Introduction and architectural description". british-history.ac.uk. Retrieved 31 December 2015.
- Ridgway, Claire. "11 July 1564 – The Plague hits Stratford-upon-Avon". TudorSociety.com. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "Old English Inns - The Garrick Inn". OldEnglishInns.co.uk. Retrieved 30 December 2015.