The Gazette (Maryland)
|Owner(s)||The Washington Post (1992-2015)|
|Ceased publication||June 18, 2015|
The Gazette published weekly community newspapers serving Montgomery, Prince George's, and Carroll counties in Maryland, including a subscription-based weekend edition covering business and politics throughout the state. The group of papers consistently won awards from the Suburban Newspapers of America, as well as regional awards. It was based in Gaithersburg.
In June 2015, Nash Holdings said it would close the newspapers.
The community newspaper group publishes ten Montgomery County editions (Germantown, Silver Spring/Takoma Park, Gaithersburg, Bethesda, Potomac, Burtonsville, Wheaton, Rockville, Olney and Damascus), two Carroll County editions (Mount Airy and Sykesville/Eldersburg) and eight Prince George's County editions (Largo, Hyattsville, College Park, Upper Marlboro, Bowie, Landover, Laurel and Clinton). The Gazette has been publishing weekly newspapers in the Maryland suburbs since 1959.
Jeff Bezos purchased the Gazette newspapers on August 5, 2013, as part of his $250 million cash purchase of the media holdings of The Washington Post Company. The transaction completed on October 1. Bezos established Nash Holdings LLC to acquire and control the Gazette.
In 2015, Nash Holdings announced it would close the Gazette, and cease publishing both its Montgomery County and Prince George's County editions. The closure, which was effective June 18, 2015, affected 69 employees and 12 reporters.
- Montgomery Gazette
- Anthony, Cara R. (May 16, 2013). "The Gazette shuts down Frederick office". The Frederick News-Post. Frederick, Maryland: The Frederick News-Post. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- Fahri, Paul (October 1, 2013). "The Washington Post Closes Sale to Amazon Founder Jeff Bezos". The Washington Post. Retrieved October 1, 2013; Clabaugh, Jeff (October 1, 2013). "Jeff Bezos Completes Washington Post Acquisition". Washington Business Journal. Retrieved October 1, 2013; Farhi, Paul (August 5, 2013). "Washington Post To Be Sold to Jeff Bezos, the Founder of Amazon". The Washington Post. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- Shay, Kevin James (October 1, 2013). "Bezos completes purchase of Gazettes, Post". The Maryland Gazette. Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- Harwell, Drew (June 12, 2015). "Gazette Papers in Montgomery, Prince George's to Close". The Washington Post. Retrieved June 13, 2015.
- Kraut, Aaron (2015-06-12). "The Gazette Set to Close". Bethesda Magazine. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
|This article about a Maryland newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|