The Geffen Film Company
This article does not cite any sources. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Film distributor and production company|
|Fate||renamed as DreamWorks|
|Founded||June 23, 1982|
|Defunct||June 19, 1998|
The Geffen Film Company (also known as The Geffen Company, The Geffen Film Company, Inc., and later Geffen Pictures) was a film distributor and production company founded by David Geffen, the founder of Geffen Records, and future co-founder of DreamWorks. Geffen founded the company in 1982, having recruited Eric Eisner as president, and distributed its films through Warner Bros. Geffen operated it as a division of Warner Bros., and as a result, following The Geffen Film Company's shutdown in 1998, Warner Bros. now owns the company's library. However, the only Geffen Film Company title Warner Bros. does not own is the 1996 Mike Judge comedy Beavis and Butt-Head Do America, itself owned by Paramount Pictures via Paramount Animation and MTV Films.
The spherical Geffen Pictures logo (based on the logo of its record-label counterpart) was created by Saul Bass.
The Geffen Company
- Personal Best (1982)
- Risky Business (1983) (co-production with Warner Bros. Pictures)
- After Hours (1985)
- Lost in America (1985)
- Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
- Beetlejuice (1988)
- Men Don't Leave (1990)
- Defending Your Life (1991)
- The Last Boy Scout (1991)
- M. Butterfly (1993)
- Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)
- Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (1996, co-production with Paramount Pictures and MTV Films)
- Tales from the Crypt (1989–1996, TV series)
- Joe's Apartment (1996, co-production with MTV Films)
- Michael Collins (1996)
- The Butcher Boy (1997)
- "David Geffen Fast Facts". CNN. 8 March 2018. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- Shewey, Don (1985). "On the Go With David Geffen". The New York Times Magazine. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- Cieply, Michael (10 January 1989). "Sean Daniel Quits Universal to Head Geffen's Film Unit". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- Dilworth, John R. (January 1997). "Beavis and Butt-Head Do America". Animation World Magazine. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- The Geffen Film Company on IMDbPro (subscription required)
- Geffen Pictures on IMDbPro (subscription required)
|This article about an American film distributor or production company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|