The Gene Illusion
Cover of the first edition
The Gene Illusion is a 2003 book by clinical psychologist Jay Joseph, in which Joseph challenges the evidence underlying genetic theories in psychiatry and psychology. Focusing primarily on twin and adoption studies, he attempts to debunk the methodologies used to establish genetic contributions to schizophrenia, criminal behaviour, and IQ. In the nature and nurture debate on the causes of mental disorders, Joseph's criticisms of genetic research in psychiatry have found their place among those who argue that the environment is overwhelmingly the cause of these disorders, particularly with psychiatry critic Jonathan Leo, and with Oliver James. Some of the conclusions of The Gene Illusion have been criticized in book reviews by spinal surgeon Daniel Hanson, M.D., and psychologist F.M. Spinath.
- Biopsychiatry controversy
- Biological psychiatry
- Inheritance of intelligence
- Mad in America
- Causes of schizophrenia
- Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder controversies
- Joseph, J. (2003). The Gene Illusion: Genetic Research in Psychiatry and Psychology under the Microscope. PCCS Books. ISBN 1-898059-47-0.
- Newnes, C. "Not at all in the genes: Craig Newnes interviews Jay Joseph" (PDF). Critical Psychology & Psychiatry. Shropshire, England: Dept. of Psychological Therapies, South Staffs & Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- Leo, J. (2003). "The fallacy of the 50% concordance rate for schizophrenia in identical twins". Human Nature Review. 3: 406–415.
- Leo, J. (2006). "Schizophrenia Adoption Studies". PLoS Medicine. 3 (8): e366. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0030366. PMC . PMID 16942400.
- James, Oliver (3 October 2003). "Required reading". The Times. London.
- James, Oliver (17 May 2003). "Children before cash". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- James, Oliver (19 June 2006). "Can maternal anxiety lead to ADHD". The Times. London.
- Hanson, D. (2005). "The Gene Illusion Confusion". PsycCRITIQUES. 50 (52): art. 10. doi:10.1037/04131512.
- Spinath, F. (2004). "The Gene Illusion: Genetic research in psychiatry and psychology under the microscope: Jay Joseph; PCCS Books, Ross-on-Wye, UK, 2003, 342 pages, ISBN 1-898059-47-0". Intelligence. 32 (4): 425–427. doi:10.1016/j.intell.2004.04.001.