This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Generators performing at Ruhrpott Rodeo in 2013
|Genres||Punk rock, Rock and roll|
|Labels||DC Jam, People Like You (Europe), Concrete Jungle, Randale Records|
|Associated acts||Schleprock, Bedlam Knives|
|Past members||Eric Ortega
Derek O' Brien
The Generators are a punk rock band formed in 1997 in Los Angeles, California, created as a response to the breakup of the 90's punk rock group Schleprock. The original band was composed of Doug Kane on vocals, Mike Snow and Eric Ortega on guitars, Ernie Berru on the drums and Rich Santia on bass.
The Generators' first album Welcome To The End was released by Los Angeles-based Triple XXX Records in 1997. After positive reviews of their debut album, they turned out a 7-song EP Ninety Nine and 2 more full-length albums by 2001, Burning Ambition on Urgent Music Ltd. and Tyranny on TKO records, and another 8-song EP called State of the Nation on TKO as well.
Between 2003 and 2009 they released 4 more full-length records; Excess Betrayal...And Our Dearly Departed, The Winter Of Discontent, The Great Divide, and Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea. All of these albums were primarily released in Europe on People Like You Records, and were not easy to find in the United States unless imported or from the band themselves at a show.
In 2011 the band went into the studio and released their 8th studio album called Last Of The Pariahs and with help from DC Jam Records. Touring ensued and their new album was seen as one of their best since the early years. They followed the release with some extensive US and European touring.
A 6-song EP on Concrete Jungle records in 2013 called The Deconstruction of Dreams, and once again it showed that The Generators were true to the band's original sound.
2013 has brought the Generators to Randale Records where their latest full-length album "Life Gives-Life Takes" was released in the spring of 2014. This has the band out for most of the summer of 2014 playing gigs, festivals, and radio shows to support their latest release, as well as videos. The Generators have had a long career of international touring and recording that requires availability and commitment. Band members who could no longer meet those requirements moved on to allow those that can to continue the hard work. Such is the case as so many other punk rock and rock bands that The Generators follow in the foot steps of.
Doug and Mike were involved in a side project called the Bedlam Knives who released a 7" on Dr. Strange Records. Their sound is similar to The Generators and they have since broken up.
2015 saw the re-mastering and re-release of their first 2 albums which had both been long out of print. "Welcome To The End" was released by Dr. Strange Records and "Burning Ambition" by Crowd Control Media. Both releases had new artwork and newly added bonus tracks.
In 2016, the band released a retrospective album called "Earn Your Stripes" on Randale records. It included many of the bands favorite hits over their almost 20 year history as well as few new songs. They also released a split EP with the British band Crashed Out called "Blood, Sweat & Glory". Typical touring followed as well as a rare trip to the Midwest for the first time in many years. The band is now believed to be working on material for a new record.
- Welcome to the End (1997), Triple X Records, US
- Ninety-Nine (album)|Ninety-Nine (1999), Outcast Records/ Triple X Records, Europe
- Burning Ambition (2000), Urgent Music Ltd. US / People Like You, Europe & Japan
- "Dead at 16 7", TKO Records
- Tyranny (2001), TKO Records US / People Like You, Europe & Japan
- State of the Nation (2002), TKO Records/ Dead Beat, US
- "Sounds of the Street Vol. 2: Split CD w/ Vicious Rumors"
- From Rust to Ruin, TKO Records (compilation: greatest hits album)
- "Riverboat Gamblers split 7""
- Excess, Betrayal...And Our Dearly Departed (2003)People Like You, Europe & Japan, Fiend Music, US
- The Winter of Discontent (2006), People Like You, Europe & Japan, Sailor's Grave, US
- The Great Divide (2007), People Like You, Europe & Japan
- Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (2009), People Like You, Europe & Japan
- You Against You 7"
- Last Of The Pariahs (2011), IHP Records, Europe & Japan, DC Jam, US
- 3 of a Kind (2012), Split with Sledgeback and C.A.F.B.
- The Deconstruction of Dreams (Concrete Jungle Records, 2013)
- Life Gives-Life Takes (Randale Records, 2014)
- Earn Your Stripes (Randale Records, 2016)
- Blood, Sweat & Glory spit EP w/ Crashed Out (Randale Records/Longshot Music, 2016)
- Where The Bad Boys Rock 2004 (Live DVD) (2004), People Like You Records
- Where The Bad Boys Rock 2005 (Live DVD) (2005), People Like You Records
- "C A F B / Sledgeback & The Generators - 3 Of A Kind CD Album". Cduniverse.com. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Generators.|