The Ghost Inside (band)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|The Ghost Inside|
The Ghost Inside at 2014's Warped Tour
|Also known as||A Dying Dream (2004–2006)|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Genres||Metalcore, melodic hardcore, emotional hardcore|
The Ghost Inside, formerly known as A Dying Dream, is an American metalcore band from Los Angeles, California, formed in 2004. The band currently consists of vocalist Jonathan Vigil, guitarists Zach Johnson and Chris Davis, bassist Jim Riley and drummer Andrew Tkaczyk. They have released one EP and four studio albums, with their latest, Dear Youth, released in November 2014 through Epitaph Records and peaking at number 63 on the American Billboard 200 chart.
As A Dying Dream, they released an EP, Now or Never on Frontline Records. A year later, they signed to Mediaskare Records, where they re-recorded and re-released the EP with an additional track and bonus live footage. Not long after, they changed their name to The Ghost Inside, and released a full-length studio album entitled Fury and the Fallen Ones.
Their second album, titled Returners, was released on June 8, 2010 via Mediaskare Records.
On February 24, 2011, it was announced that KC Stockbridge and The Ghost Inside mutually parted ways and that Andrew Tkaczyk had been filling in on drums. Andrew was formerly the drummer and main songwriter in the band For the Fallen Dreams. As of January 10, 2012, the band has been signed to Epitaph Records.
In 2012, the band headlined the Alternative Press Tour along with Miss May I.
In 2013, the band toured the world with their breakthrough album, Get What You Give.
On September 8, 2014 the band released a new song - "Avalanche". And on September 16, 2014 Spotify leaked details of their new album Dear Youth.
On November 17, 2014, their second release for Epitaph Records, Dear Youth, was released and debuted at No 63. on the Billboard Top 200.
On January 9, 2015, The Ghost Inside posted on their Facebook page that they are parting ways with founding member and lead guitarist Aaron Brooks, leaving Jonathan Vigil as the last original member in the current lineup.
On the morning of November 19, 2015, the band's tour bus collided head on with a tractor trailer while headed west to Mesa, Arizona on U.S. Highway 180, eight miles east of the border patrol checkpoint outside of El Paso, Texas. The drivers of both vehicles died, while the remaining ten people on the bus survived. Jonathan Vigil, Zach Johnson, Andrew Tkaczyk and two others were hospitalized in critical condition. On January 13, 2016, vocalist Jonathan Vigil posted his first update since the accident: on Instagram, he stated his injuries and his gratefulness "to be alive". The next day, drummer Andrew Tkaczyk confirmed via his Instagram account that the accident had resulted in him losing one of his legs following an initial ten-day coma.
On March 22, 2016, during the livestream of the Warped Tour band announcement of that year, it was announced that The Ghost Inside would play Warped Tour 2017. An announcement that far in advance was unprecedented. They were the first band announced for the tour. On March 23, 2016, Chris Davis, formerly of Texas in July, was announced as an official member after touring with the band since 2015. On February 10, 2017, Jonathan Vigil announced that the band would be unable to perform on Warped Tour 2017. Warped Tour announced they would continue to hold their spot for the band until they were well enough to play.
Musical style, influences and songwriting
The Ghost Inside's music has been classified as metalcore and melodic emotional hardcore. They have self-identified as melodic hardcore, for example on their Facebook page. However, bassist and backing vocalist Jim Riley stated in a 2013 interview that "to [him] the band is a metalcore band" and that they're "similar to Unearth or As I Lay Dying or something like that, with a little bit less guitar solos and a little bit less singing". He said that they are influenced by "an older generation of bands" such as Throwdown, Bury Your Dead (especially Beauty and the Breakdown), Misery Signals, Killswitch Engage, Unearth (especially The Oncoming Storm) and Bleeding Through, some of which he considers "seminal to what metalcore is", as well as modern music that isn't necessarily heavy (such as pop punk), and that he himself listens "to a lot of emo". In a 2009 interview, vocalist Jonathan Vigil stated that he grew up listening to punk rock bands such as NOFX and Less Than Jake before getting into heavier bands such as Hatebreed and Slipknot, while guitarist Aaron Brooks said that he listened to bands like Bad Religion before getting into Poison the Well, that one of his favorite bands currently are Comeback Kid and that he also appreciates Hatebreed.
Riley stated that when writing a song, the band usually puts the instrumentation together first, before vocalist Jonathan Vigil and guitarist Aaron Brooks write lyrics for it. He also noted that the decision to use clean vocals in some songs of Get What You Give, such as "Engine 45", came from the band and wasn't forced by producer Jeremy McKinnon.
|The Ghost Inside discography|
- Studio albums
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2008||Fury and the Fallen Ones
|2012||Get What You Give
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
|2005||Now or Never||Frontline, Mediaskare (2006 reissue)|
- Music videos
- "Faith or Forgiveness" (2008)
- "Unspoken" (2010)
- "Chrono" (2010)
- "Engine 45" (2012)
- "The Great Unknown" (2013)
- "Dear Youth (Day 52)" (2014)
- "Out of Control" (2015)
- "Move Me" (2015)
- Greco, Rachel (March 4, 2016). "Charlotte drummer faces long road back from devastating crash". Lansing State Journal. USA Today Network. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "The Ghost Inside and drummer part ways". Lambgoat.com. February 24, 2011. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "The Ghost Inside signs to Epitaph Records & Announces U.S Tour". metalriot.com. January 10, 2012. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "Epitaph Records: The Ghost Inside - Get What You Give". Epitaph.com. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "The Ghost Inside "Get What You Give" Billboard Debut". FlySouthMusic.com. June 30, 2012. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "The Ghost Inside - "Avalanche"". YouTube. September 8, 2014. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "The Ghost Inside involved in serious bus accident - UPDATED - News - Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- "The Ghost Inside: three members in critical condition". Lambogat. November 20, 2015. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "The Ghost Inside’s Jonathan Vigil: “I’m Here World” - News - Rock Sound Magazine". Rock Sound Magazine. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- "NEWS: Andrew Tkaczyk (The Ghost Inside) loses leg following tragic bus accident". DEAD PRESS!. January 14, 2016. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "The Ghost Inside will play Vans Warped Tour 2017 - News - Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- https://www.instagram.com/p/BDTj_9XpVNg/?taken-by=daghostinside. Retrieved 23 March 2016. Missing or empty
- "The Ghost Inside: Getting and Giving". Loudmag.com. May 20, 2013. Retrieved September 8, 2014.
- Kraus, Brian (June 22, 2014). "16 Modern Precursors Of Melodic Hardcore". Alternative Press. Retrieved April 4, 2016.
Before the likes of Defeater, Touché Amoré, the Ghost Inside, Counterparts, Being As An Ocean and many more became the new faces of melodic, emotional hardcore, there were upperclassmen who were setting the stage.
- "The Ghost Inside: Hardcore-metal fury". Live Metal. July 15, 2009. Retrieved November 21, 2015.
- "The Ghost Inside – Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "The Ghost Inside – Chart History: Independent Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Discography The Ghost Inside". australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Discographie The Ghost Inside". austriancharts.at. Hung Medien. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Discografie The Ghost Inside". ultratop.be. Hung Medien. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Discographie - The Ghost Inside". officialcharts.de (in German). GfK Entertainment. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Discographie The Ghost Inside". hitparade.ch. Hung Medien. Retrieved February 4, 2015.