The Gingerbread Man (TV series)
|The Gingerbread Man|
|Genre||Children's television series|
|Created by||David Wood|
|Written by||David Wood|
|Directed by||Martin Pullen|
|Creative director(s)||Alan Murphy (art director)|
|Voices of||Andrew Sachs
|Narrated by||Anton Rodgers|
|Theme music composer||David Wood|
|Country of origin||England|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Executive producer(s)||David Yates|
|Camera setup||Simon Paul|
|Running time||10 minutes per episode (approx.)|
Central Independent Television
|Distributor||Abbey Home Media
(Region 2 DVD-Video)
|Picture format||PAL (576i)|
|Original release||24 April 1992 – 1992|
The series was written by David Wood, adapted from his two-act musical play The Gingerbread Man, which premiered in 1976 at the Towngate Theatre in Basildon, Essex, and went on to great international success. The play is inspired by "The Gingerbread Man", a 19th-century fairy tale.
The screen adaptation was co-produced by FilmFair and Central Independent Television in 1991, and broadcast on ITV in 1992. Andrew Sachs voiced the roles of the Gingerbread Man, Mr Salt the Sailor, and Herr Von Cuckoo. Jacqueline Clarke voiced Miss Pepper.
- The Gingerbread Man [title character]
- Miss Pepper
- Mr Salt
- Herr Von Cuckoo
- Sleek The Mouse
- The Old Tea Bag
- The Big Ones - Never seen.
- "The Arrival"
- "Herr Von Cuckoo's Cuckoo"
- "Sleek the Mouse"
- "Hide and Squeak"
- "A Pinch of Salt"
- "Locked Clock"
- "Weekend Break"
- "Old Tea Bag in Danger"
- "While the Cat's Away"
- "It's Not Fair"
- "The Gingerbread Ghost"
In the United Kingdom, the entire TV series was first published on two VHS tapes on 1 September 1992, recommended by Polygram Video and distributed by Channel 5. Various animation compilations on VHS included single episodes. Polygram Video published the entire series on one VHS tape on 24 April 1995.
After including a portion of the series on its VHS animation compilation All Together Now (2001), Universal Studios Home Entertainment released the entire series on one Region 2 DVD titled The Gingerbread Man (12 April 2004), again recommended by Polygram Video and distributed by Channel 5. Abbey Home Media re-released the first 6 episodes on DVD on 27 March 2006, and the remaining seven episodes on a second DVD on 26 March 2007. Apparently, 3 DVD and VHS releases were (and still are) available in the UK.
- "The Gingerbread Man". BFI Film & TV Database. British Film Institute. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- Diamond, Frazer. "The Gingerbread Man". Toonhound. Frazer Diamond. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "The Gingerbread Man". David Wood: The National Children's Dramatist. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "The Gingerbread Man". Copyright Encyclopedia. Advameg, Inc. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "The Gingerbread Man: The Arrival". bva.org.uk. The British Video Association. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "The Gingerbread Man: A Pinch of Salt". bva.org.uk. The British Video Association. Retrieved 6 January 2013.