The Girl on a Motorcycle
|The Girl on a Motorcycle|
|Directed by||Jack Cardiff|
|Produced by||William Sassoon|
|Written by||André Pieyre de Mandiargues (novel)
|Music by||Les Reed|
|Edited by||Peter Musgrave|
|Distributed by||British Lion Films (UK)
Warner Bros. (US)
|Box office||626,331 admissions (France)|
The Girl on a Motorcycle (French: La motocyclette), also known as Naked Under Leather, is a 1968 British-French film starring Alain Delon, Marianne Faithfull, Roger Mutton, Marius Goring and Catherine Jourdan. It was listed to compete at the 1968 Cannes Film Festival but the festival was cancelled due to the events of May 1968 in France. The Girl on a Motorcycle redefined the leather jacket for motorcyclists into a full body suit that Marianne Faithfull wore in the film.
The film is based on the novella La Motocyclette by André Pieyre de Mandiargues. Newly-married Rebecca leaves her husband's Alsatian bed on her prized motorbike—symbol of freedom and escape—to visit Daniel, her lover in Heidelberg. En route, she indulges in psychedelic and erotic reveries as she relives her changing relationship with the two men, before crashing into a truck at the end. (In the medium to distant shots, the rider was the British GP champion Bill Ivy, wearing a blonde wig.)
- Alain Delon as Daniel
- Marianne Faithfull as Rebecca
- Roger Mutton as Raymond
- Marius Goring as Rebecca's Father
- Catherine Jourdan as Catherine
- Jean Leduc as Jean
- Jacques Marin as Pump Attendant
- André Maranne as French Superintendent
- Bari Jonson as First French Customs Officer
- Arnold Diamond as Second French Customs Officer
- John G. Heller as German Customs Officer
- Marika Rivera as German Waitress
- Richard Blake as 1st Student
- Chris Williams as 2nd Student
- Colin West as 3rd Student
The film was the sixth most popular movie in general release in Britain during 1968.
Home media releases
- Box Office information for film at Box Office Story
- "Festival de Cannes: The Girl on a Motorcycle". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- Quilleriet, Anne-Laure. The Leather Book. New York: Assouline, 2004.
- Pieyre de Mandiargues, André (1963). La Motocyclette. Paris: Gallimard. OCLC 3565796.
- John Wayne-money-spinner The Guardian (1959–2003) [London (UK)] 31 Dec 1968: 3.
|This romance film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|