The Girlie Show: Live Down Under
|The Girlie Show: Live Down Under|
|Released||April 25, 1994|
|Recorded||November 19, 1993|
|Venue||Sydney Cricket Ground|
|Director||Mark "Aldo" Miceli|
|Madonna video chronology|
The Girlie Show: Live Down Under is a video album by American singer-songwriter Madonna. It was released by Warner Music Vision, Warner Reprise Video and Maverick Records on April 25, 1994 and included a date filmed at Sydney Cricket Ground on November 19, 1993 from The Girlie Show World Tour. The video was originally broadcast as a TV special on HBO in 1993 under the title Madonna Live Down Under: The Girlie Show. The concert was directed by Mark "Aldo" Miceli, who previously directed the TV specials Blond Ambition: Japan Tour 90 and the Barcelona TV special Madonna-Live! Blond Ambition World Tour 90 (live from Barcelona Olympic Stadium on August 1, 1990 and not the version from the HBO special). When re-released on DVD in 1998, the video was the first ever music video in this format along with another Warner Music title The Three Tenors in Concert.
The video release was originally aired as a television special, Madonna Live Down Under: The Girlie Show, on American network HBO and was the channel's most watched original program of the year. Initially, the November 20, 1993 show was to be filmed and aired, however, a massive storm forced the cancellation of the show, so the November 19 show (which had been taped the night before as a "safety show") was aired instead. Another television special aired in Japan only, entitled Madonna Live in Japan 1993: The Girlie Show, but was never released in any video format. In 1995 this title was nominated for the Grammy Award of Best Long Form Music Video. The DVD was certified gold in Brazil by the Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos (ABPD) for shipment of 25,000 copies. It was also certified 3× platinum in Australia.
Dominic Griffin from Daily Variety wrote that: "Madonna danced, sang, and more specifically entertained her way through this two-hour concert set. [...] Madonna's comments aside, this show was purely for the cameras and the viewing audience at home. Expertly shot with multi-cameras including a crane and an onstage SteadiCam, the show was shot in close quarters, with an occasional pan of the vast audience. [...] After a slow start, the show, which included nine costume changes, never once let up. Madonna showed great energy and amazing stamina throughout." Heather Phares from Allmusic gave the release four out of five stars and wrote that "With crystal clear digital video and sound, the disc delivers dynamic versions of "Holiday", "Rain", "Erotica", "Deeper and Deeper", and 14 of the Material Girl's other hits, making it the next best thing to actually being at the show." She added that though the lack of special DVD, "it's still a decent presentation of a spectacular, two-hour concert, and worthwhile for fans looking to upgrade from the laser disc or VHS versions. Billboard
It was released on VHS, Laserdisc, VCD (Asia only) and later on DVD. To accompany it, Madonna released her second coffee table book, The Girlie Show which includes a bonus CD with three live tracks from the concert: "Like a Virgin", "Why's It So Hard" and "In This Life". As one of Warner's earliest releases, the DVD is unusual in being double sided with a 2 channel PCM audio track on one side and the 5.1 dolby digital on the other. The audio track on both has various faults, particularly around the performance of Vogue.
|1.||"The Girlie Show Theme"||Jai Winding||2:25|
|7.||"Deeper and Deeper"||7:27|
|8.||"Why's It So Hard"||5:00|
|9.||"In This Life"||6:44|
|10.||"The Beast Within"||5:42|
|11.||"Like a Virgin"||6:04|
|12.||"Bye Bye Baby"||4:15|
|13.||"I'm Going Bananas"||1:44|
|14.||"La Isla Bonita"||5:10|
|16.||"Justify My Love"||8:05|
|17.||"Everybody Is a Star"/"Everybody"||Sylvester Stewart / Madonna||12:08|
- "Rain" contains an excerpt from "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" and "Singin' in the Rain."
- "Like a Virgin" contains an excerpt from "Falling in Love Again (Can't Help It)."
- "Holiday" contains an excerpt from "Holiday for Calliope."
- "Everybody Is a Star"/"Everybody" contains an excerpt from "Dance to the Music" and "After the Dance."
- Mark Aldo Miceli – director
- Marty Callner – producer
- Toby Phillips – cinematography
- Jay Torres – film editing
- Christopher Ciccone – production design
- Jeffrey Hornaday – stage producer
- Michelle Johnston – choreography
- Alex Magno – choreography
- Keith Young – choreography
|UK Music Videos (OCC)||1|
|US Music Videos (Billboard)||3|
|Australia (ARIA)||3× Platinum||45,000^|
|Brazil (Pro-Música Brasil)||Gold||25,000*|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||50,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||50,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- BASE – British Association for Screen Entertainment
- Madonna: The Girlie Show - Live Down Under (1993) (TV) - Trivia
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-08-19. Retrieved 2007-08-10.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) The Girlie Show facts
- "Brazilian video certifications – Madonna – The Girlie Show: Live Down Under" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos. Retrieved September 23, 2014.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2004 DVDs". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved September 23, 2014.
- Prouty (1996). Variety and Daily Variety Television Reviews, 1993-1994. Taylor & Francis. p. 520. ISBN 0-8240-3797-9.
- Phares, Heather (1994-04-26). "Girlie Show: Live Down Under [Video] - Madonna". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- Billboard - Google Books
- "Official Music Video Chart Top 50". Official Charts Company. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "Music Video Sales: 1994-05-14". Billboard. Retrieved December 7, 2014. (subscription required)
- "British video certifications – Madonna – The Girlie Show: Live Down Under". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved September 23, 2014. Select videos in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type The Girlie Show: Live Down Under in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American video certifications – Madonna – The Girly Show". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved September 23, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Video Longform, then click SEARCH.