The Glow of Love
|The Glow of Love|
|Studio album by Change|
|Released||April 16, 1980|
Power Station Studios
Media Sound Studios
(New York City)
|Genre||R&B, soul, disco|
|Label||Warner Bros., WEA|
|Producer||Jacques Fred Petrus|
|Singles from The Glow of Love|
The Glow of Love is the debut studio album by the Italian/U.S. ensemble Change. It was released in 1980 and reached number twenty-nine on the US Billboard Album Chart and ten on the US Billboard Black Albums chart. The Glow of Love includes the singles "A Lover's Holiday", "Searching" and "The Glow of Love", all three singles simultaneously topped the US dance chart for nine weeks from May to June 1980.
The band recorded the songs for album at Fontoprint Studios, Bologna, Italy. The songs were then taken to Power Station Studios, New York City for the recording of the vocals. "Searching" and the title track were recorded and mixed at Media Sound Studios, New York. The sessions were then mastered at Sterling Sound Studios. Receiving positive reviews the album was originally released as an LP in April 1980. The artwork was designed and illustrated by Greg Porto.
The Glow of Love received positive reviews from the majority of critics. Alex Henderson writing retrospectively for Allmusic awarded the album 4.5 stars describing it as a disco/R&B masterpiece and Change's most essential album. Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards' Chic sound is noted as a heavy influence but Henderson argues that "knowledgeable disco and R&B enthusiasts knew better; Change wasn't a carbon copy of Chic any more than jazz great Chet Baker was a clone of Miles Davis." "A Lover's Holiday" is marked as a playful opener, while "It's a Girl's Affair" and "Angel in my Pocket" are highlighted as "sassy and passionate," respectively.
Robert Christgau writing at the time, summarises the album as "New and true and gay" and "having the complete bag of disco tricks." The influence of Chic is again noted in "A Lover's Holiday" which he describes as a "Rodgers-&-Edwards rip." He also compares "The End" to the electronic music of Giorgio Moroder.
The album's showcasing of Luther Vandross is highlighted in most reviews. Ed Hogan writing for Allmusic describes the "The Glow of Love" as a startling introduction to Vandross' dazzling singing style. Henderson remarks that "the laid-back title song which Vandross sang on became a quiet storm favorite and demonstrates that not everything Change recorded was aimed at the dancefloor. Vandross had yet to secure a solo career in 1980, although many of the people who heard his performances on those two gems agreed that a solo career was inevitable."
|1.||"A Lover's Holiday" (a Jim Burgess mix)||David Romani, Paolo Gianolo, Tanyayette Willoughby||6:24|
|2.||"It's A Girl's Affair"||Romani, Gianolo, Wayne Garfield||5:29|
|3.||"Angel in My Pocket"||Romani, Gianolo, Willoughby||6:10|
|4.||"The Glow of Love"||Romani, Mauro Malavasi, Garfield||6:11|
|5.||"Searching"||Malavasi, Paul Slade, Willoughby, Garfield||8:01|
|6.||"The End"||Romani, Paolo Gianolo||5:54|
|1992 Compact Disc bonus track|
|7.||"Searching" (Parkside remix)||9:03|
- David Romani and Paolo Gianolo - Composing, Arrangement, Conductor
- David Romani and Mauro Malavasi - Composing, Arrangement ("The Glow of Love")
- Mauro Malavasi - Composing, Arrangement ("Searching")
- Wayne Garfield, Paul Slade, Tanyayette Willoughby - Lyrics
- Jacques Fred Petrus - Producer, Executive Producer (for Little Macho Music Co., Inc., New York)
- Mauro Malavasi - Executive Producer (for Little Macho Music Co., Inc., New York)
- All songs featuring Instruments played by the Good Music Orchestra
- Luther Vandross - Lead Vocals ("The Glow of Love" and "Searching")
- Jocelyn Brown - Lead Vocals ("Angel In My Pocket" and "It's A Girl's Affair")
Recorded at Fontoprint Studios, Bolognia, Italy. All vocals recorded and mixed at Power Station Studios, New York City. "The Glow of Love" and "Searching" recorded and mixed at Media Sound Studios, New York City. Mastered at Sterling Sound Inc., New York City.
- Maurizio Biancani - Engineering (Fontoprint Studios)
- Bill Scheniman - Engineering (Power Station Studios)
- MHB - Engineering (Media Sound Studios)
- Ray Caviano and Bob Siegel - Album Coordination
- Greg Porto - Album Design and Illustration
- Luther Vandross and Jocelyn Shaw - Many Thanks
|U.S. Billboard Pop Albums||29|
|U.S. Billboard Black Albums||10|
- "45cat - Change - A Lover's Holiday (Edit) / The End - RFC / Warner Bros. - USA - RCS49208". Discogs. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- "45cat - Change - Searching / It's A Girl's Affair - RFC / Warner Bros. - USA - RCS49512". Discogs. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- "45cat - Change - The Glow Of Love / It's A Girl's Affair - RFC / Warner Bros. - USA - RCS49587". Discogs. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- "Change US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- "Allmusic review".
- Christgau, Robert. "The Glow of Love review". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 2016-11-16.
- ""The Glow of Love" Allmusic review".