The Golden Glove
|The Golden Glove|
|Der Goldene Handschuh|
|Directed by||Fatih Akin|
|Written by||Fatih Akin|
|Based on||Der goldene Handschuh|
by Heinz Strunk
|Music by||F.M. Einheit|
The Golden Glove (German: Der Goldene Handschuh) is a 2019 internationally co-produced horror drama film directed by Fatih Akin. It was selected to compete for the Golden Bear at the 69th Berlin International Film Festival. The film is an adaptation of Heinz Strunk’s eponymous novel and tells the story of the German serial killer Fritz Honka who murdered four women between 1970 and 1975 and hid their body parts in his apartment. The Golden Glove is named after the pub in the red-light district of Hamburg where the disfigured alcoholic Honka met his victims. The Golden Glove is the first film by Fatih Akin to receive an 18 rating in Germany.
- Jonas Dassler as Fritz Honka
- Margarethe Tiesel as Gerda Voss
- Katja Studt as Helga Denningsen
- Dirk Böhling as Soldaten-Nobert
- Hark Bohm as Dornkaat-Max
- Uwe Rohde as Herbert
- Lars Nagel as Nasen-Ernie
- Greta Sophie Schmidt as Petra Schulz
- Martina Eitner-Acheampong as Frida
- Jessica Kosmalla as Ruth
- Tilla Kratochwil as Inge
- Barbara Krabbe as Anna
- Philipp Baltus as pimp
- Marc Hosemann as Siggi Honka
- Adam Bousdoukos as Lefteris
- Tristan Göbel as Willi
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, The Golden Glove holds an approval rating of 52% based on 33 reviews, with an average rating of 5.56/10. Its consensus reads, "Grim to a fault, The Golden Glove embarks on a well-crafted but deeply unsavory descent into the depraved mind and rank brutality of a serial killer." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 38 out of 100, based on 15 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
After the premiere at the 69th Berlin International Film Festival The Golden Glove received mostly negative reviews. Peter Bradshaw awarded the film 2 out of 5 stars. David Ehrlich of Indiewire gave it a D and called it "disgusting" and "one of the most vile serial killer movies ever made". The film was criticized for its brutality and lack of substance and psychological depth. Some German critics described it as a failed or inadequate attempt to adapt the novel and criticized Akin for making a nauseating horror film out of Strunk’s artistic presentation of the events.
- "The Golden Glove (2019)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "The Golden Glove (2019)". The Numbers. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "Fatih Akin interview on the controversial movie The Golden Glove". The HotCorn. 10 March 2020.
- "Selection for Competition and Berlinale Special Completed". Berlinale. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Freigabebescheinigung (German film certificate)". Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle der Filmwirtschaft. Retrieved 7 February 2019.
- "The Golden Glove (Der goldene handschuh) (2019) - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "The Golden Glove reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- Guy Lodge. "Berlin Film Review: 'The Golden Glove'". Variety. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- Stephanie Zacharek. "Berlin Film Festival Review: Fatih Akin Loses His Touch with Brutal, Punishing The Golden Glove". Time. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- Peter Bradshaw. "The Golden Glove review – grisly but pointless true-life serial killer tale". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- David Ehrlich. "'The Golden Glove' Review: One of the Most Vile Serial Killer Movies Ever Made — Berlinale". Indiewire. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- Fabian Wallmeier. "Berlinale-Filmkritik "Der Goldene Handschuh": "Was stinkt denn hier so?"". Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg (in German). Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- Martin Martin Schlesinger. "Der Goldene Handschuh". Deadline – Das Filmmagazin (in German). Retrieved 14 February 2019.