The Good Mother (1988 film)
|The Good Mother|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Leonard Nimoy|
|Produced by||Arne Glimcher|
|Screenplay by||Michael Bortman|
|Based on||The Good Mother by
|Music by||Elmer Bernstein|
|Edited by||Peter E. Berger|
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Pictures|
|November 4, 1988|
The Good Mother is a 1988 American drama film and an adaptation of Sue Miller's novel of the same name. Directed by Leonard Nimoy, the film stars Diane Keaton and Liam Neeson in the leading roles. The Good Mother explores feelings and beliefs about children's exposure to adult sexuality and challenges society's growing reliance upon courts to settle complex private and ethical matters.
Anna Dunlap (Diane Keaton), is a piano teacher who works part-time at a college laboratory and a recent divorcee who has custody of a six-year-old daughter. She meets and falls in love with Leo (Liam Neeson), an Irish sculptor who helps her to find true passion and fulfillment. But her sexual liberation comes at a very high cost: her ex-husband Brian (Naughton) questions her new lifestyle. Worse, he accuses Leo of sexually molesting Molly and sues Anna for custody of their daughter.
- Diane Keaton as Anna Dunlap
- Liam Neeson as Leo
- Jason Robards as Muth
- Ralph Bellamy as Grandfather
- Teresa Wright as Grandmother
- James Naughton as Brian
- Asia Vieira as Molly
- Joe Morton as Frank Williams
- Fred Melamed as Dr. Payne
- Katey Sagal as Ursula
- Margaret Bard as Aunt Rain
- Nancy Beatty as Anna's Mother
- Barry Belchamber as Anna's Father
- Mairon Bennett as Young Anna
- Zachary Bennett as Young Bobby
- Scott Brunt as Eric
The movie was not a success.
- Avins, Mimi (1988-11-20). "Commentary : Selling Out for the Sake of Expediency : 'The Good Mother'- What Rage? What Reason? - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- Maslin, Janet (1988-11-04). "Movie Review - The Good Mother - Review/Film; Passion vs. Parenthood in 'The Good Mother' - NYTimes.com". Movies.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "The Good Mother :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews". Rogerebert.suntimes.com. 1988-11-04. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- SHEILA BENSON (1986-04-14). "MOVIE REVIEWS : 'Good Mother' Stuck in Ambiguity - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- LEONARD KLADY (1989-01-08). "Box Office Champs, Chumps : The hero of the bottom line was the 46-year-old 'Bambi' - Page 2 - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-03.