The Good Soldier (1981 film)
|The Good Soldier|
|Directed by||Kevin Billington|
|Produced by||Peter Eckersley|
|Screenplay by||Julian Mitchell|
|Based on||The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford|
|Music by||John McCabe|
|Edited by||Edward Mansell|
The Good Soldier is a 1981 British television drama film directed by Kevin Billington, starring Robin Ellis, Vickery Turner, Jeremy Brett and Susan Fleetwood. It tells the story of two couples that fall apart due to lies and infidelity. The film is based on the novel of the same title by Ford Madox Ford. It was produced by Granada Television.
- Robin Ellis as John Dowell
- Vickery Turner as Florence Dowell
- Jeremy Brett as Edward Ashburnham
- Susan Fleetwood as Leonora Ashburnham
- Elizabeth Garvie as Nancy Rufford
- Pauline Moran as Maisie Maidan
- John Ratzenberger as Jimmy
- Geoffrey Chater as Bagshawe
- John Grillo as Herr Schontz
- Roger Hammond as Grand Duke
In a contemporary review, the New York Times wrote the series was "adapted beautifully" and "it has been transposed to the television screen splendidly... This is a powerfully intelligent and insightful work." In a 2015 review of the book, Kevin T. Di Camillo called the adaptation "pretty forgettable".
- "The Good Soldier (1981)". Films & TV programmes. British Film Institute. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "The Good Soldier". pbs.org. PBS. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- O'Connor, John J. (17 January 1983). "Ford Maddox Fords' The Good Soldier". New York Times. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- Ford Madox Ford’s The Good Soldier at 100: A Tale of Passion
|This article related to a British film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a made-for-TV drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|