The Goodwin Games
|The Goodwin Games|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||7 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Original release||May 20 – July 1, 2013|
The Goodwin Games is an American sitcom series that aired as a midseason replacement on Fox from May 20 to July 1, 2013. It was created and written by Carter Bays and Craig Thomas (creators of How I Met Your Mother) alongside Chris Harris.
The series revolves around a trio of estranged siblings: Henry, an overachieving surgeon with an overabundant ego; Chloe, a former child mathematical prodigy who became popular in high school and abandoned academia (and her friends) for a career as a struggling actress; and Jimmy, a career petty criminal with a string of convictions who has to sneak into his pre-teen daughter's bedroom at night to visit her. The siblings return home for their father's funeral. His attorney (one of Chloe's abandoned childhood friends) April Cho informs them that their father's will awards them $23 million, but only if they agree to compete in a series of games of their father's devising. The games are designed to force them to confront their personal failings, recall their childhoods, and bring them together as a family once again. When the siblings resist, April informs them that their father anticipated their reaction, and therefore a fourth individual will be involved in the games, a complete stranger named Elijah, who collects part of the remaining inheritance every time the siblings fail to follow their father's instructions.
Cast and characters
- Becki Newton as Chloe Goodwin
- Scott Foley as Henry Goodwin
- T. J. Miller as Jimmy Goodwin (Jake Lacy in the original pilot)
- Kat Foster as Lucinda Hobbes (Felisha Terrell in the original pilot)
- Melissa Tang as April Cho
- Sabrina Carpenter as Young Chloe Goodwin
- Beau Bridges as Benjamin Goodwin
- Kaitlyn Maher as Piper Goodwin
- Jerrod Carmichael as Elijah
- Stefanie Black as Annie
- Laurie Metcalf as Dr. Richland
- Adam Rodriguez as Ivan
- Janina Gavankar as Hannah
- Chris Diamantopoulos as Chad
- William Edward Dagsher as Fisherman
On May 9, 2012, Fox placed a series order for the comedy that was expected to premiere during the 2012–13 television season as a mid-season entry. On June 7, 2012, it was announced that T. J. Miller was replacing Jake Lacy in the role of Jimmy. On November 2, 2012, it was announced that Fox cut the episode order from thirteen to seven.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|1||"Pilot"||Peyton Reed||Chris Harris, Craig Thomas & Carter Bays||May 20, 2013||1AVW79||1.61|
|Henry, Chloe and Jimmy Goodwin are brought together when their father, Benjamin, dies shortly after finishing his will video. At the will reading, it is revealed he has left a fortune of $23 million. When he sets the siblings a challenge, which he calls "The Goodwin Games", to complete a game of trivial pursuit, something that they have never seemed to accomplish, along with Elijah, someone hired by their father.|
|2||"Welcome Home, Goodwins"||Peyton Reed||Tom Ruprecht||May 27, 2013||1AVW01||1.37|
|The Goodwins are forced to be there for each other when they hear church bells.|
|3||"Small Town"||Jesse Peretz||Greg Schaffer||June 3, 2013||1AVW06||1.62|
|When Chloe sees Jimmy with a strange man, she suspects him of returning to his old ways.|
|4||"The Hamletta"||Peyton Reed||Carter Bays & Craig Thomas||June 10, 2013||1AVW02||1.54|
|Chloe goes back to college.|
|5||"The Birds of Granby"||David Katzenberg||Chris Harris||June 17, 2013||1AVW03||1.39|
|Jimmy reconnects with Piper's mother.|
|6||"Happy Hour"||John Putch||Christine Zander||June 24, 2013||1AVW04||1.50|
|Chloe and April spend a night at the bar with an old friend from Math Club. Jimmy performs songs that are maybe a little too autobiographical. Henry accidentally "sexts" his ex.|
|7||"The Box"||Neil Patrick Harris||Rachel Axler||July 1, 2013||1AVW05||1.49|
|Chloe becomes convinced that her father is controlling her life from beyond the grave, and her paranoia is infectious.|
- Byrne, Craig (February 28, 2013). "FOX Announces Season Finale Dates & Summer Premieres". FOX. KSiteTV. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 23, 2012). "Several More New Series In Recasting Mode; Returning Ones Add/Cut Regulars". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 8, 2012.
- Masters, Megan. "Exclusive: Roseanne's Laurie Metcalf Books Arc on Fox's New Comedy The Goodwin Games". TVline.com. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- Snierson, Dan. "Adam Rodriguez signs on to 'The Goodwin Games' -- EXCLUSIVE". EW.com. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- Seidman, Robert (May 9, 2012). "Updated (5): Fox New Show Pick Ups: Comedy 'Ben & Kate' + 'It's Messy' + 'Goodwin Games' + Dramas 'The Mob Doctor' & 'The Following'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 9, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 8, 2012). "3rd Update: Fox Picks Up Kevin Williamson, Mob Doc Drama, Three Comedy Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 7, 2012). "T.J. Miller To Play Lead On New Fox Comedy Series 'Goodwin Games' In Recasting". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 8, 2012.
- Michael Ausiello (2012-10-25). "Fox Cuts Episode Order For Midseason Comedy The Goodwin Games in Half". TVLine. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- Bibel, Sara (May 21, 2013). "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Voice' & 'Dancing With the Stars' Adjusted Up; 'The Goodwin Games' & 'Motive' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (May 28, 2013). "TV Ratings Monday:'The Bachelorette' Premieres Down, 'The Voice' Falls, 'Revolution' & 'The Goodwin Games' Flat". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 29, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 4, 2013). "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Voice' & 'The Goodwin Games' Adjusted Up + No Adjustment for 'Revolution' Finale". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (June 11, 2013). "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Voice' & 'The Bachelorette' Adjusted Up; 'The Winner Is' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 18, 2013). "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Voice' & 'The Bachelorette' Adjusted Up; 'The Winner Is...' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (June 25, 2013). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'Under the Dome' & 'The Bachelorette' Adjusted Up Plus Final Stanley Cup Numbers". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 2, 2013). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'Under the Dome' Adjusted Up; 'Mistresses' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers.
- Knox, David (May 7, 2014). "Returning: New Girl, Airdate: The Goodwin Games". TV Tonight. Retrieved June 4, 2014.