The Grand Wazoo
|The Grand Wazoo|
|Studio album by|
|Released||November 27, 1972|
|Recorded||April–May 1972, Paramount Studios, Hollywood, CA|
|Genre||Big band, jazz fusion, progressive rock|
|Frank Zappa chronology|
|The Mothers chronology|
|Singles from The Grand Wazoo|
The Grand Wazoo is a Jazz fusion album by Frank Zappa and The Mothers, released in November 1972. It was written and recorded during Zappa's period of convalescence after being assaulted in December 1971 in London, UK.
Along with its predecessor Waka/Jawaka (July 1972), this album represents Zappa's foray into big band music, the logical progression from Hot Rats (1969) (which used a much smaller lineup). This was the last release on Zappa's own Bizarre Records label.
Recording and production
This was the third Zappa album released in a period where he was forced to use a wheelchair. Zappa was unable to tour after being assaulted and pushed offstage into an orchestra pit during a concert on December 10, 1971 at the Rainbow Theatre in London, UK.
All songs written, composed and arranged by Frank Zappa.
|1.||"For Calvin (And His Next Two Hitch-Hikers)"||6:05|
|2.||"The Grand Wazoo"||13:18|
|4.||"Eat That Question"||6:42|
|1995 Ryko remaster|
|1.||"The Grand Wazoo"||13:20|
|2.||"For Calvin (And His Next Two Hitch-Hikers)"||6:06|
|4.||"Eat That Question"||6:43|
- Promo issue, with A-Side Mono (DJ airplay) version & B-Side Stereo version of same track.
- Musicians and production per CD booklet.
- www.discogs.com / The Mothers – Cletus Awreetus - Awrightus
- Huey, S. (2011). "The Grand Wazoo - Frank Zappa | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 17 September 2018.
- Miles, Barry. "The Rainbow Theatre Incident." Zappa Wiki Jawaka. N.p., 13 May 2007. Web. 13 May 2015.