The Grease Band
The Grease Band
|Associated acts||Joe Cocker, Spooky Tooth, Wings|
The Grease Band was a British rock band that originally formed as Joe Cocker's backing group. They appeared with Cocker during the 1960s, including his performance at the Woodstock Festival in August 1969. The band's name derived from an interview Cocker had read with the American jazz organist Jimmy Smith, who had approvingly described another performer as having "a lot of grease", with "grease" referring to soul. After Cocker formed the Mad Dogs & Englishmen album band line-up, the group released two albums without him in the 1970s.
Their keyboard player was Chris Stainton, who went on to tour extensively with Eric Clapton. Bassist Alan Spenner and rhythm guitarist Neil Hubbard went on to play in the UK blue-eyed soul band Kokomo; following this, Spenner worked in support of the late 1970s/early 1980s incarnation of Roxy Music. Drummer Bruce Rowland later joined Fairport Convention. Henry McCullough was the Grease Band's lead guitarist, a role he later occupied in Paul McCartney's Wings, and continued as a solo artist until his death in June 2016. Rowland, Spenner, Hubbard and McCullough all played on the original 1970 recording of Jesus Christ Superstar.
- Chris Stainton - keyboards
- Bruce Rowland – drums, percussions, harmonium, backing vocals
- Alan Spenner – bass, vocals
- Neil Hubbard – rhythm & slide guitar, backing vocals
- Henry McCullough – lead guitar, vocals
- Bruce Eder. "The Grease Band - Biography - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Henry McCullough - BIOGRAPHY". Oldflattop.com. Archived from the original on 24 December 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- Joe Viglione. "The Grease Band - The Grease Band - Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 129. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Amazing Grease - The Grease Band - Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- Christgau, Robert (1981). "The Grease Band". Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies. Ticknor & Fields. ISBN 0899190251 – via robertchristgau.com.