The Great Battle (film)
|The Great Battle|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Kim Kwang-sik|
|Produced by||Kim Woo-taek|
|Screenplay by||Kim Kwang-sik|
|Music by||Yoon Il-sang|
|Edited by||Kim Chang-joo|
|Distributed by||Next Entertainment World|
|Box office||US$41.5 million|
The Great Battle (Hangul: 안시성; Hanja: 安市城; RR: Ansi-seong; lit. Ansi Fortress) is a 2018 South Korean historical action film directed by Kim Kwang-sik. It stars Jo In-sung, Nam Joo-hyuk, and Park Sung-woong. The film was released in South Korea on September 19, 2018.
A historical film about the siege of Ansi Fortress and the epic eighty-eight day battle that Yang Man-chun and his Goguryeo troops fought against 500,000 invading Tang dynasty men to defend it.
- Stephanie Lee as Dal-rae
The film premiered in South Korea on September 19, 2018, with age 12-rating. The film was released alongside Fengshui, The Negotiation, and The Nun, considered the most competitive week on Korean Box Office this year.
The film was released in North America on September 21, 2018. As of September 21, the film had been sold to over 32 countries, with release date in United Kingdom, Vietnam, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, and Singapore set in October 2018.
The film received mostly positive reviews from critics. Praise was given to its cinematography, Kim's directing, the action sequences and acting performances. However, there were criticisms on Yang Man-chun's portrayal and the historical accuracy of the film.
Yoon Min-sik from The Korea Herald wrote, "Director Kim did a clever job of masking his actors' weak points and making the most of their strengths in this action-packed flick. Jo’s voice still seems out of place in a period piece, but his character refrains from making any more big speeches, taking action instead. It is very unlikely that Yang Man-chun was in his mid-30s, or that there was a squad of beautiful women shooting blowguns, or a group of borderline super-soldiers fighting without their helmets, but this movie throws historical accuracy out the window and the result is a lot of fun."
Shim Sun-ah from Yonhap News Agency wrote, "Visually striking, imaginative and compelling, The Great Battle easily claims its status as one of the most impressive war epics to have come out of Korean cinema in a long time. Since little is known about the battle and Yang Man-chun, making a tentpole based on long-forgotten ancient history with a relatively untested director was a massive gamble and could have gone horribly wrong. However, he combined his energetic style with spectacular slow-motion sequences depicting every detail of the battle's ferocious brutality and the fear of the outnumbered Goguryo soldiers as they see the swarming Tang invaders."
Cary Darling from the Houston Chronicle wrote, "Director Kim Kwang-shik has a surprisingly keen eye for wide-screen, CGI-embellished action choreography that is often wildly impressive... The Great Battle rings with the echoes of such sweeping, cinematic blitzkriegs as the Battle of Helm’s Deep in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers or any number of Game of Thrones assaults."
The film grossed US$194,200 from previews and pre-sales.
On its opening day, the film finished first place at the box office by attracting 122,699 moviegoers with US$870,571 gross. After four days of strong performance, the film surpassed 1 million admissions on September 23. During its opening weekend, the film topped box office with US$9.1 million gross from 1,128,374 attendance, leaving Fengshui and The Negotiation in second and third place respectively.
On September 24, 6 days after its release, the film surpassed 2 million admissions, sooner than 2012 Chuseok's hit Masquerade which surpassed the milestone in 8 days. The film surpassed 3 million admissions two days later. On September 29, the film surpassed 4 million admissions after topping the box office for 10 days. The film maintained its position at the top of the box office charts during its second weekend, though having a 29% drop in gross with US$6.5 million from 815,042 attendance.
The film surpassed 5 million admissions on October 6, 2018. During its third weekend, the film earned US$1.8 million gross from 234,886 attendance, 72% lower gross compared to its second weekend. The film finished third, tailing Venom and Dark Figure of Crime. The film finished in fifth place during its fourth weekend, having a 70% drop in gross compared to the previous weekend.
Awards and nominations
|38th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards||Top 11 Films||The Great Battle||Won|||
|Best New Actor||Nam Joo-hyuk||Won|
|2nd The Seoul Awards||Won|||
|39th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Won|||
|Best Cinematography and Lightning||Nam Dong-geun & Jung Hae-ji||Nominated|
|Technical Award (Special Effects)||Yoon Dae-won||Nominated|
|5th Korean Film Producers Association Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Bae Seong-woo||Won|||
- "KIM Kwang-sik of THE GREAT BATTLE". Korean Film Biz Zone. 9 May 2018.
- "영화 - 등급분류검색 - 자료와통계 - 영상물등급위원회". www.kmrb.or.kr (in Korean).
- "추석 극장가, 韓영화 3편 동시 개봉..공멸? 한편만 살아남기?". Naver (in Korean). Star News. Retrieved September 10, 2018.
- "The Great Battle (2018)". Korean Film Biz Zone.
- "안시성". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "The Great Battle". Hancinema. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "New film reenacts Koguryo's legendary victory over China". Yonhap News. 22 August 2018.
- "The Great Battle' to reenact legendary fight of Goguryeo". The Korea Herald. 21 August 2018.
- "Blockbuster 'The Great Battle' tells 88-day Ansi siege". The Korea Times. 21 August 2018.
- "ZO In-sung Leads ANSI CITY into Battle". Korean Film Biz Zone. 15 May 2017.
- "[단독]남주혁, '안시성'으로 스크린 데뷔…조인성과 호흡". Joy News (in Korean). Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "Bae Seong Woo, "I Like My Job"". Star News. 31 July 2018.
- "엄태구 측 "'안시성' 파소役 출연 긍정검토 중"(공식입장)". Sports Today (in Korean). Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "AOA's Seol-hyun Enters ANSI CITY". Korean Film Biz Zone. 31 July 2017.
- "ANSI FORTRESS Begins 5-Month Shoot". Korean Film Biz Zone. 1 September 2017.
- "War Blockbuster Starring ZO In-sung, ANSI FORTRESS Finished Filming". Korean Film Biz Zone. 13 February 2018.
- "조인성 주연 '안시성' 출정식 개최! "진지함 속 빛나는 외모"". Sports Kyung-hyang (in Korean). Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "조인성 남주혁 박성웅 배성우 김설현 '안시성', 5개월 촬영 끝 크랭크업". Break News (in Korean). Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "[국내영화] 안시성". Korea Media Rating Board (in Korean). Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "조승우 vs 손예진 vs 조인성, 이 대결 실화? 자존심 걸렸다[개봉DAY]". Newsen (in Korean). Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- "'안시성' 북미 개봉 확정, 조인성 해외서도 인정 받을까". Korea Daily (in Korean). Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "'안시성' 오늘(21일) 북미 첫 선…전세계 32개국 선 판매·동시기 개봉 확정". Xports News (in Korean). Retrieved 21 September 2018.
- "'안시성' 541만+해외 세일즈로 손익분기점 돌파..VOD 서비스". Star News (in Korean). October 24, 2018.
- "[Herald Review] 'The Great Battle' has its flaws, but is an action-packed spectacle". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "(Movie Review) The Great Battle: Spectacular, glorious war epic". Yonhap News Agency. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "Review: Korean film 'The Great Battle' a fight worthy of 'Game of Thrones'". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 23 September 2018.
- "The Great Battle (2018)". KOFIC. September 18, 2018.
- "[NC스코어]'안시성', 개봉 첫날 1위…추석 극장가 흥행 이어갈까". News Culture (in Korean). September 20, 2018.
- "적수 없는 '안시성', 4일 연속 1위…오늘(23일) 100만 돌파 [美친box]". OSEN (in Korean). September 23, 2018.
- "[무비:스코어] '안시성' 개봉 첫 주말 112만 동원…140만 돌파 '1위'". Xports News (in Korean). September 25, 2018.
- "'안시성' 개봉 6일만에 200만 돌파..'광해'보다 이틀 빠르다[공식입장]". OSEN (in Korean). September 25, 2018.
- "'안시성', 火 80만 봤다..개봉 후 최다관객+오늘 300만 돌파[美친box]". OSEN (in Korean). September 26, 2018.
- "'안시성', 오늘(29일) 400만 돌파…10일 연속 1위". Joy News 24 (in Korean). September 29, 2018.
- "[무비:스코어] '안시성' 452만 돌파, 1위 수성…'협상' 역주행 2위". Xports News (in Korean). October 2, 2018.
- "'안시성', 500만 돌파..조인성X설현X남주혁 웃음 활짝". Star News (in Korean). October 6, 2018.
- "[DA:박스] 주말 1위 '베놈', 200만 넘었다…'암수살인'도 160만 돌파". Dong-ah Sports (in Korean). October 8, 2018.
- "[팝업무비]'암수살인' 283만↑ 5일 연속 1위…'베놈'과 비등비등". Herald Pop (in Korean). October 15, 2018.
- "[공식]이성민·한지민 '영평상' 남녀주연상…'1987' 작품상". Sports Chosun (in Korean). October 22, 2018.
- "'제2회 더 서울어워즈' 10월27일 개최, 드라마-영화 각 부문별 후보공개". iMBC (in Korean). September 28, 2018.
- "청룡영화상 후보 발표, '1987' 최다·'공작'도 9개부문 후보". Newsen (in Korean). November 1, 2018.
- "주지훈·한지민, 한국영화제작가협회상 남녀주연상 영광". Newsen (in Korean). 11 December 2018.