The Great Escape (Boys Like Girls song)
|"The Great Escape"|
|Single by Boys Like Girls|
|from the album Boys Like Girls|
|Released||March 3, 2007|
|Label||Columbia, Red Ink|
|Songwriter(s)||Martin Johnson, Sam Hollander, Dave Katz|
|Boys Like Girls singles chronology|
"The Great Escape" is the second single from Boys Like Girls' eponymous debut album, and is also their first single to chart on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at 23. The single has been certified Platinum and gold by the RIAA.
This song is about leaving the town I grew up in with my best friends at my side. A graduation-type song with a “we’re up to no good, fuck this town, let’s do it up for one more night” twist. I wrote it as a last hurrah to high school, growing up, and in a sense… the last night of being a kid. It’s the end of one chapter… with an outlook on the future… sort of like a prequel to the rest of the record.
The music video was directed by Alan Ferguson and was filmed in January 2007. Released in late February 2007, it was added to MTV playlists and received considerable airplay on those channels along with Fuse TV. The video was #1 on MTV's Total Request Live for 9 days in the summer & fall of 2008. It features the band on the road, as well as in concert, while detailing the journey of a group of their fans on the way to and during their best concert. It goes back and forth between the band and the friends showing their journey as they both make their way to the concert the band will be playing.
In popular culture
The song has also appeared as a downloadable track for the Xbox 360 karaoke game, Lips, and featured on the soundtrack of 2K Sports' Top Spin 3. The song is featured in the Nintendo DS version of the game by Activision, Band Hero and was made available as a downloadable track for the Rock Band game in June 2010. The song is featured on the soundtrack to the film The House Bunny. It was also used in the official trailer of the Disney film Tangled. The song was used in episode 64 and 154 of Running Man, and was used in episode 189 of Dream Team II. The song is also a playable level in the Nintendo Wii-exclusive video game We Cheer, We Cheer 2.
- "The Great Escape" (Album Version)
- "Heels Over Head" (Tom Lord-Alge Mix)
- "The Great Escape" (Live)
- Bonus Content:
- "The Great Escape" Ringtone
- Wallpaper Image
Charts and certifications
|United States||March 3, 2007||Contemporary hit radio||Columbia Records|
- RIAA Gold & Platinum Searchable Database - Boys Like Girls - The Great Escape
- "PlayPro.com". Lyric Feature - Boys Like Girls by Boys Like Girls.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Boys Like Girls Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Charts.nz – Boys Like Girls – The Great Escape". Top 40 Singles.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Boys Like Girls Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Boys Like Girls Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Boys Like Girls Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- on YouTube