The Great Jazz Trio at the Village Vanguard
|The Great Jazz Trio at the Village Vanguard|
|Live album by |
The Great Jazz Trio
|Recorded||February 19 & 20, 1977|
Village Vanguard, NYC
|Producer||Kiyoshi Itoh and Yasohachi Itoh|
|Hank Jones chronology|
The Great Jazz Trio at the Village Vanguard is a live album by the Great Jazz Trio; pianist Hank Jones, bassist Ron Carter and drummer Tony Williams, recorded in 1977 for the Japanese East Wind label.
|All About Jazz|||
Allmusic awarded the album 4½ stars stating "No matter which edition one hears of the Great Jazz Trio, leader Hank Jones can be counted upon to deliver the goods. ...On this occasion, Jones is ably accompanied by Ron Carter and Tony Williams, so it is no surprise the fireworks begin right away". On All About Jazz John Kelman noted "Perhaps it's because, with their shared background as members of Miles Davis' landmark quintet of the mid-'60s, Carter and Williams were able to approach this more mainstream affair with just the right combination of unabashed swing and freer interpretation".
- "Moose the Mooche" (Charlie Parker) - 6:06
- "Naima" (John Coltrane) - 11:41
- "Favors" (Claus Ogerman) - 9:35
- "12+12" (Ron Carter) - 9:27
- East Wind Records List accessed August 3, 2015
- The Great Jazz Trio Catalog accessed August 3, 2015
- Dryden, Ken. The Great Jazz Trio at the Village Vanguard – Review at AllMusic. Retrieved August 3, 2015.
- Kelman, J., All About Jazz Review, March 23, 2005