The Great New Wonderful
|The Great New Wonderful|
|Directed by||Danny Leiner|
|Produced by||Matt Tauber
|Written by||Sam Catlin|
|Music by||John Swihart|
|Distributed by||First Independent Pictures|
The Great New Wonderful is a series of vignettes of incidents taking place concurrently around Manhattan. The only other thing linking the incidents is the month in which they occur: September 2002. Recurring themes include Frustration and Sugar.
The vignettes include:
- An accountant (Jim Gaffigan) undergoing a therapy session in the office of a passive-aggressive psychologist (Tony Shalhoub).
- Two immigrants from India on security detail for a visiting dignitary.
- An ambitious pastry chef (Maggie Gyllenhaal) preparing a professional pitch that she hopes will make her the reigning doyenne of New York's competitive cake scene.
- A Brooklyn housewife (Olympia Dukakis) fixes her husband's dinner and then sits at the kitchen table making collages out of old magazines while her husband sits on the balcony, smoking a cigarette.
- Allison & David Burbage (Judy Greer, Tom McCarthy) struggle to keep their marriage together while coping with their increasingly difficult and strangely self-possessed 10-year-old son.
- Olympia Dukakis — Judie
- Jim Gaffigan — Sandie
- Judy Greer — Allison
- Maggie Gyllenhaal — Emme
- Tom McCarthy — David
- Sharat Saxena — Satish
- Naseeruddin Shah — Avi
- Tony Shalhoub — Dr. Trabulous
- Edie Falco — Safarah
- Stephen Colbert — Mr. Peersall
- Jim Parsons — Justin