The Greatest Hits of Eric Burdon and The Animals
|The Greatest Hits of Eric Burdon and The Animals|
|Greatest hits album by Eric Burdon and the Animals|
|Genre||Rock, psychedelic rock, hard rock|
|The Animals US chronology|
The Greatest Hits of Eric Burdon and The Animals was the group's compilation representing the Animals' last three lineups, and showcased their venture into psychedelic rock. It was released in March 1969 in the US but never put out in the United Kingdom; it was the last album MGM Records would release in (more or less) the group's lifetime. Despite containing three tracks that had been US Top 15 singles, the collection was not commercially successful, placing only at number 153 on the Billboard 200.
The 1979 Rolling Stone Record Guide said the album's songs "are, in a way, great fun as memorabilia, they are surely no more than that." Allmusic considers it "An okay compilation of its kind", but supplanted by later compilations issued after the group had broken up.
|Rolling Stone Record Guide||
- "River Deep, Mountain High" (Phil Spector, Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich) – 7:20
- "San Franciscan Nights" (Eric Burdon, Vic Briggs, John Weider, Barry Jenkins, Danny McCulloch) – 3:24
- "Year of the Guru" (Burdon) – 5:25
- "Anything" (Burdon, Briggs, Weider, Jenkins, McCulloch) – 3:20
- "Monterey" (Burdon, Briggs, Weider, Jenkins, McCulloch) – 4:18
- "White Houses" (Burdon) – 4:43
- "Winds of Change" (Burdon, Briggs, Weider, Jenkins, McCulloch) – 4:00
- "To Love Somebody" (Barry Gibb, Robin Gibb) – 7:20
- "Sky Pilot" (Burdon, Briggs, Weider, Jenkins, McCulloch) – 7:27
- Eric Burdon - vocals
- Vic Briggs - guitar except as indicated below
- John Weider - guitar, violin
- Danny McCulloch - bass except as indicated below
- Barry Jenkins - drums
- Zoot Money - keyboards on "White Houses" and "Year Of The Guru", keyboards and bass on "River Deep, Mountain High" and "To Love Somebody"
- Andy Summers - guitar on "River Deep, Mountain High" and "To Love Somebody"
- The Rolling Stone Record Guide. Eds. Dave Marsh and John Swenson. New York: Random House, 1979. ISBN 0-394-73535-8. pp. 9–10.
- "Artist Chart History: Animals". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- Whitburn, Joel (1983). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: 1955 to present. Billboard Publications. pp. 21–22. ISBN 0-8230-7511-7.
- "The Animals: Charts & Awards – Billboard Albums". Allmusic. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "The Greatest Hits of Eric Burdon and the Animals". Allmusic. Retrieved 13 July 2014.