The Green Monkey
|The Green Monkey|
|Owner||Sue Magnier, Derrick Smith & Michael Tabor|
|Trainer||Todd A. Pletcher|
The Green Monkey (foaled February 4, 2004 in Florida) is an American Thoroughbred racehorse. A descendant of both Northern Dancer and Secretariat, The Green Monkey was sold in 2006 as a two-year-old colt for the highest price ever paid (current to 2014) at auction for a Thoroughbred—$16,000,000.
At the January 2006 Fasig-Tipton Calder sale of selected two-year-olds, The Green Monkey was sold for a world-record auction price of $16 million (equal to about $19.0 million today). He joins nine other descendants of Northern Dancer who clinch the entire list of the ten most expensive colts sold at auction (current to 2014).
The colt's new owners gave him the name because of their connections with The Green Monkey golf course in Barbados, named after the island's green monkeys. As well, the colt was foaled in the Chinese year of the green/wooden monkey.
On September 15, 2007, The Green Monkey made his racing debut in a six-furlong maiden race at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York. Made the 2–5 betting favorite, the colt finished third behind winner Roi Maudit and runner-up Sixthirteen.
The Green Monkey made the second start of his career at Belmont Park on October 13 in a seven-furlong race for nonwinners. In a field of seven, he finished a well-beaten fourth to winner Giant Deputy in a time of 1:21.20.
The Green Monkey was officially retired February 12, 2008 after failing to break his maiden in his three career starts.
A portion of his ownership was acquired by the same pinhook sellers, Randy Hartley and Dean De Renzo, who originally acquired and sold him at auction in the 2006 Fasig-Tipton Calder sale. Hartley and De Renzo bought back into the horse with partner John Magnier (Coolmore Stud). He will stand at their Hartley/De Renzo Thoroughbreds in Ocala beginning in 2009. His stud fee was set at $5,000.
The first reported foal by The Green Monkey is a filly born January 13, 2010. The newborn, bred by Jacqueline Fleck, is the third foal out of multiple winner I’m Angela (by Kayrawan).
|Storm Cat (USA)
|Storm Bird||Northern Dancer|
|Shared Interest (USA)
|Pleasant Colony||His Majesty|
Magical Masquerade (USA)
|Gana Facil||Le Fabuleux|
|Valid Appeal||In Reality|
- Biles, Deirdre (February 13, 2008). "The Green Monkey Retired". Bloodhorse.com. Retrieved December 19, 2009.
- Guide, Barbados.org Travel. "Barbados Wildlife: Green Monkey".
- "- Thoroughbred Times".
- "The Green Monkey Sires First Foal".
- "The Green Monkey (USA) Stud Record". bloodstock.racingpost.com.
- "The Green Monkey Pedigree". Equineline. Retrieved May 28, 2015.
- The Green Monkey's pedigree and partial racing stats
- on YouTube
- May 7, 2006 Guardian newspaper article titled He's never run a race, so why pay $16m for him?
- September 15, 2007 article at the NTRA titled The Green Monkey fails to impress
- TB Times 2-12-08 "The Green Monkey retired"
- February 11, 2008 Bloodhorse.com article on The Green Monkey
- Bloodhorse 01-16-2010 "The Green Monkey Sires First Foal"