This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The district is near York Hospital and the city ring road. In the 19th century the area was populated by poor working-class inhabitants of long rows of back-to-back houses. It consists largely of close-knit terraces, the majority of which date from the first two decades of the 20th century. In the early 1960s, a large number of very small terraced houses were demolished to make way for flats and maisonettes which were built between Garden Street, Penleys Grove/Townend Street and Lowther Street; this area has a residents' association.
The Groves area contains a mixture of privately owned and rented properties, and council housing, and contains a number of students from York St John University. Lowther Street is the main area for local shopping, with an Indian restaurant and takeaway, Chinese takeaway, a small supermarket and a shop specialising in Polish food. In Penleys Grove Street there is a grocery shop.
Lowther Street is a busy route for traffic during rush hours, although a one-way system reduces traffic on this and Penleys Grove/Townend Street.
There is a police team which works with the community. In 2015 a ban on drinking alcohol on the streets was introduced to reduce anti-social behavior in the Groves. The area crime rate is one of the lowest in York.
- Tillott, P. M., ed. (1961). "'Modern York: Social life, 1835-1900'". A History of the County of York: the City of York. British History Online. London: Victoria County History. pp. 286&ndash, 289. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "The Expanding City". History of York: York Museums Trust. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "4 photos from the 1960s Groves demolitions in York". The Press. 20 January 2016. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "Map of the area covered by The Groves resident association" (pdf). City of York Council. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "Park Grove Primary School". Department of Education. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "Door 84". Door 84. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "St Thomas York". St Thomas with St Maurice. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- Prest, Victoria (18 November 2015). "Street drinking ban for the Groves". The Press. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
|This York location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|