The Habit Burger Grill
|Traded as||NASDAQ: HABT (Class A)|
Russell 2000 Component
|Industry||Fast casual restaurant|
|Founded||November 15, 1969|
Santa Barbara, California, U.S.
|Headquarters||Irvine, California, U.S.|
Number of locations
|United States (Arizona, California, Florida, Idaho, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, Washington), China, UAE|
|Russell W. Bendel (CEO)|
Ira Fils (CFO)
The Habit Burger Grill is an American fast casual restaurant chain that specializes in charbroiled hamburgers. The company also purveys other typical fast-casual fare. Its headquarters is in Irvine, California. From 1969 to 2007, the chain slowly expanded around the Los Angeles metropolitan area to 23 restaurants.
In 2007, a private equity firm, KarpReilly, purchased a majority stake in the company, and the chain rapidly expanded. In 2014, it had 109 locations either open for business or under construction. The company is one of the fastest-growing fast food chains in the United States, with a 40% sales increase from 2012 to 2013. As of November 2017, the company also has a fleet of nine food trucks.
The Habit Burger Grill was founded on November 15, 1969 in Santa Barbara, California as a family-owned business. In 2007, it was purchased by KarpReilly, a private equity firm that began to rapidly expand the chain, including franchising. Multiple newspapers reported in 2013 that Habit Burger LLC, the parent company to the chain, was planning an IPO. On November 19, 2014 the company raised $83.7 million in an initial public offering (IPO).
The Habit Burger Grill currently has over 200 locations. The majority of their locations are in California, but they also have locations in other states and two countries. The company plans to expand into the United Kingdom with 30 restaurants.
- Arizona: 13 Locations
- California: 174 Locations
- Florida: 10 Locations
- Idaho: 3 locations
- Maryland: 4 Locations
- Nevada: 7 Locations
- New Jersey: 9 Locations
- Pennsylvania/Virginia: 1 Location each
- Utah: 11 locations
- Washington: 6 Locations
- People's Republic of China/United Arab Emirates: 2 Locations each
In mid-2014, The Habit's "Charburger" was named the best burger in America by Consumer Reports, a nonprofit organization dedicated to unbiased product testing, scoring an 8.1 out of 10 among 53,745 participants.
- "Habit Burger Locations", Habit Burger & Grill. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- "Changes in the Ground Beef Market and What it Means for Cattle Producers". American Angus Association. p. 2. Retrieved November 12, 2017.
- Hile, K. (2016). The Handy California Answer Book. The Everest Files. Visible Ink Press. p. 335. ISBN 978-1-57859-623-2. Retrieved November 12, 2017.
- "Contact us", Habit Burger & Grill. Retrieved 2014-08-28.
- "Irvine Burger Chain Reportedly Mulls IPO", Orange County Business Journal. Retrieved 2014-08-28.
- "Habit Burger looks to value offerings as 3Q same-store sales falter". Nation's Restaurant News. November 2, 2017. Retrieved November 12, 2017.
- "About us", The Habit Burger Grill. Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- "Habit Restaurants Planning Possible IPO", The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- "IPO may be on the menu for rapidly growing Habit Burger", Orange County Register. Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- "Restaurant Finance Watch: Habit Burger mulls IPO", National Restaurant News. Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- "SEC Form 424B4, 333-199394, filed 11/21/2014", IPO Prospectus.
- "Habit Burger moves toward national expansion", Nation's Restaurant News. Retrieved 2014-08-28.
- "America’s ‘best burger’ coming to Seattle", Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved 2014-08-28.
- Scott, Ellen (2017-11-09). "Habit burgers are coming to London". Metro. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "West Coast's Habit Burger Grill now in NJ", Fox New York. Retrieved 2014-08-28.
- "Habit Burger web site". Retrieved 2018-05-11.
- "Habit Burger web site". Retrieved 2018-04-23.
- "The Country's Best Burger Comes From A Chain You've Probably Never Heard Of", Huffington Post. Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- "A Burger Chain You've Probably Never Heard Of Was Just Named Best In America", Business Insider. Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- "Best and worst fast-food restaurants in America", Consumer Reports. Retrieved August 28, 2014.