The Happy Prince (2018 film)
|The Happy Prince|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Rupert Everett|
|Written by||Rupert Everett|
|Music by||Gabriel Yared|
|Edited by||Nicolas Gaster|
|Language||English, French, Italian|
|Box office||$2.2 million|
The Happy Prince is a 2018 biographical drama film about Oscar Wilde, written by, directed by, and starring Rupert Everett in his directorial debut. The film stars Everett, Colin Firth, Colin Morgan, Emily Watson, Edwin Thomas and Tom Wilkinson. It premiered at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival, and was shown at the 2018 BFI Flare: London LGBT Film Festival. At the 9th Magritte Awards, it received a nomination in the category of Best Foreign Film.
The film's title alludes to the children's story by Oscar Wilde, The Happy Prince and Other Tales, which Wilde would read aloud to his children. The film was released in Italy on 12 April 2018, in the United Kingdom on 15 June 2018 and in the United States on 10 October 2018.
- Rupert Everett as Oscar Wilde
- Colin Firth as Reggie Turner
- Colin Morgan as Lord Alfred "Bosie" Douglas
- Emily Watson as Constance Lloyd
- Tom Wilkinson as Fr Dunne
- Anna Chancellor as Mrs Arbuthnot
- Edwin Thomas as Robbie Ross
- Béatrice Dalle as Café Manager
- Julian Wadham as Mr Arbuthnot
- John Standing as Dr Tucker
- André Penvern as Mr Dupoirier
- Tom Colley as Maurice Gilbert
- Stephen M. Gilbert as Paine
- Alister Cameron as Mr Howard
- Benjamin Voisin as Jean
Principal photography on the film began in mid-September 2016 in Bavaria, Germany. Filming was also done in France, Belgium and Italy. BBC Films produced the film, with Lionsgate UK handling UK distribution.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 70% based on 98 reviews, and an average rating of 6.6/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "A passion project for writer, director, and star Rupert Everett, The Happy Prince pays effective tribute to Oscar Wilde with a poignant look at his tragic final days." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 64 out of 100, based on 26 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
The BBC's Alan Yentob produced a TV documentary of the story of Everett's long journey in obtaining funding and support for the film. The documentary took some five years to make, and was completed in 2018, after the film's premiere.
- "The Happy Prince". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- Thorpe, Vanessa (10 June 2018). "The importance of being Oscar: how Rupert Everett found a cause". The Guardian. Guardian News and Media. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- Debruge, Peter (29 November 2017). "Sundance Film Festival Unveils Full 2018 Features Lineup". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 29 November 2017.
- "The Happy Prince". BFI Flare: London LGBTQ+ Film Festival 2018. British Film Institute. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- Roxborough, Scott (14 January 2019). "'Girl,' 'Above the Law' Lead Belgium Film Award Nominations". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- "The Happy Prince". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- Grater, Tom (22 September 2016). "Rupert Everett, Colin Firth begin filming Oscar Wilde biopic". Screen Daily. Screen International. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- "Colin Morgan". United Agents. Retrieved 29 November 2017.
- Barraclough, Leo (18 May 2014). "CANNES: BBC Films, Lionsgate U.K. Board Rupert Everett's 'The Happy Prince'". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- "The Happy Prince (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
- "The Happy Prince Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 31 October 2018.