The Hazey Janes
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|The Hazey Janes|
The band consists of Andrew Mitchell (vocals, guitar, keyboard), Liam Brennan (drums, vocals, percussion) and siblings Alice Marra (vocals, guitar, keyboard, synthesizer) and Matthew Marra (bass guitar, keyboard, glockenspiel).
Formed around 2000 by guitarist Andrew Mitchell and bass player Matthew Marra, the band plays music that has been described as a fusion of country-rock and indie-pop, with a penchant for heavy folk harmonies, reminiscent of Big Star, Velvet Crush and The Posies.
- In 2004 the band recorded a self-titled mini-album with record producer Mark Freegard (Manic Street Preachers, The Breeders, Del Amitri). This was followed in 2006 by their first full-length album, Hotel Radio. Recorded with Paco Loco (Golden Smog, The Sadies, Josh Rouse) in El Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain, the record met with significant acclaim from Q magazine, Mojo, Uncut, Classic Rock and The Word.
- In 2006 they were the first Dundee-based band to perform at South by Southwest Music Festival in Austin, Texas opening up for Susanna Hoffs of The Bangles. In 2007, the band recorded a second album, Hands Around The City, with producer John Agnello (The Hold Steady, Sonic Youth, The Walkmen) at Water Music Recorders in Hoboken, New Jersey. The group again performed in Austin at SXSW, this time performing on a bill with The Presidents of the United States of America and also played their first shows in New York City and New Jersey.
- Throughout the years band have tour extensively throughout the UK, performing both as headlining artists and as support of several major acts such as Snow Patrol, Elbow, Idlewild, Brakes, Aberfeldy and Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.
- 25 October 2011 saw the release of their third full-length album, The Winter That Was through Armellodie Records. The album was self-produced and recorded on the outskirts of Dundee with engineer, Robin Sutherland.
- Since then, the quartet have undertaken some of their most rigorous and prestigious tours to date, opening as guests for WILCO on the 2012 European leg of their world tour and, more recently, Deacon Blue, which included sold out performances at Birmingham Symphony Hall, Liverpool Echo Arena, London’s Royal Albert Hall and Glasgow's newly built 13,000 arena The Hydro, among others, during autumn 2013.
- March 2012 the group collaborated with singer-songwriter Michael Marra on an EP entitled Houseroom. The six tracks were recorded over the duration of two days by engineer by Gordon McLean at An Tobar in Tobermory on the Isle of Mull. The record was released through Tob Records on 19 March.
- In 2014, they released their fourth album, Language of Faint Theory, their second release on Armellodie Records. The album was co-produced with Paco Loco and mixed by John Agnello, the team that collaborated on their debut, 2006’s critically lauded "Hotel Radio".
- Also in 2014, they were announced as "Dundee Ambassadors".
- June 17, 2016 saw the band release "The Light Comes Back", a brand new collaborative album with poet, author and playwright Liz Lochhead, and saxophonist Steve Kettley through Tob Records.
- Dundee musician-songwriter Michael Marra is the father of band members Alice Marra and Matthew Marra.
- The Hazey Janes - Mini LP (Measured Records CD, 2004)
- Hotel Radio (Measured Records CD, 2006)
- Hands Around The City (Unreleased, 2008)
- The Winter That Was (Armellodie Records CD/Download, 2011)
- Houseroom - Collaboration EP w/ Michael Marra (Tob Records CD, 2012)
- Language Of Faint Theory (Armellodie Records CD/Vinyl/Download, 2014)
- The Light Comes Back - Collaboration album w/ poet, author, playwright Liz Lochhead (Tob Records CD, 2016)
- "Your Enemy" b/w "Feel Alright" & "Piecebaggers" (written by Chris Hogan) (Measured Records CD, 2006)
- "Your Enemy" b/w "Silly Games" (written by Dennis Bovell) (Measured Records 7", 2006)
- "Always There" b/w "Anywhere Today" & "Something Between Us" (Measured Records CD, 2006)
- "Always There" b/w "Chasin' Mary Ann" (Measured Records 7", 2006)
- "Fire In The Sky" b/w "Love Is Gold" & "Meet On The Ledge" (written by Richard Thompson) (Measured Records Download, 2006)
- "New York" b/w "The City Shaped Its Arm Around Her" (Roseangle/TriTone Records 7", 2008)
- "Carmelite" (Armellodie Records Download, 2011)
- "Girl In The Night" (Armellodie Records Download, 2011)
- "The Fathom Line" (Armellodie Records Download, 2014)
- "If Ever There Is Gladness" (Armellodie Records Download, 2014)
- "All Is Forgotten" b/w "The Fathom Line (TFA Remix)" & "Iwan (Mouchettes Remix)" (Armellodie Records Download, 2014)
- Piranha PR - The Hazey Janes: Press Quotes & Releases Information.