The Headies 2012
|The Headies 2012|
|Date||20 October 2012|
Eko Hotel and Suites |
Victoria Island, Lagos
|Hosted by||M.I and Omawumi|
The seventh edition of The Headies (formerly called The Hip Hop World Awards) was hosted by M.I and Omawumi. It took place on 20 October 2012, at the Eko Hotel and Suites in Victoria Island, Lagos. The show was sponsored by MTN, one of Africa's largest telecommunication companies. The aforementioned hosts thrilled fans with their song titled "The Headies". Chidinma, the winner of the third season of Project Fame West Africa, opened the show by performing her song "Kedike". The Okoye brothers (Peter, Paul, and Jude) won a total of 3 awards. The Artiste of the Year award went to Wizkid. Tiwa Savage and Wande Coal won the male and female Best Vocal Performance categories. Vector won the Best Rap Single and Lyricist on the Roll plaques. Davido won the Next Rated category and was later awarded a Hyundai Sonata. The Headies celebrated the reunion of prominent Nigerian musicians from the 80s and 90s, including Onyeka Onwenu, Oris Wiliki, Mike Okori, Baba Fryo, Shina Peters, Fatai Rolling Dollar and Daddy Showkey, among others. Femi Kuti was honored with the Hall of Fame award. Verve card held a raffle draw and gave away ₦500,000 to a lucky winner. P-Square, May D, D’Banj, Wizkid, Ice Prince and Sarkodie were all absent at the ceremony. Omawumi promised the audience that she wouldn't speak Pidgin while hosting the show.
|“||Every year, our target is to surpass our very best efforts. With notable artistes such as Femi Kuti and many more gracing The Headies this year, our fans should expect to watch the most exciting awards ceremony to be held in recent times.||”|
|— Ayo Animashaun|
The 2013 edition of the Veterans Night, a black tie event that honors and celebrates Nigerian musicians of the past, was held at the Grand Ballroom of the Eko Hotel and Suites on 19 October 2012. Artistes and personalities recognized that night include Caleb Olumese, Tony Okoroji, Daniel Wilson, Oritz Wiliki. Chris Okotie, Daddy Fresh, Stella Monye, Baba Fryo, Edi Lawani, Easy K, Pretty (Junior & Pretty), Fellyx, (Fellyx & Mozzyx), Alex Zitto, Edmund Spice, Ras Kimono, Majek Fishhook, Mandators, Edna Ogoli, Bongos Ike, Onyeka Onwenu, KWAM 1, Mike Okra, and Blackky.
Help The Children campaign
As part of its Corporate Social Responsibility philosophy, The Headies give back to the community by donating clothes and other materials to kids in need. The 2012 campaign helped children living in the Ajegunle and Makoko Riverine communities.
Nigerian artistes who wanted to be considered for nomination were told to submit three audio CDs, four DVDs, a mini DV tape, soft copies of their profile, and a portrait picture to the award’s secretariat. Submission of entries commenced on 4 June and ended on 30 June 2012. Music contents released between March 2011 to February 2012 were eligible for entry.
P-Square and Bez topped the nominations list with six individual nominations and twelve in total. Wizkid, Davido and Ice Prince were tied for second place with four each.
- Chidinma – "Kedike"
- Eva Alordiah -"High"
- Bez – "Stupid Song" (with Praiz)
- Timi Dakolo – "Great Nation"
- Burna Boy – "Like to Party"
- Dammy Krane –
- Davido – "Dami Duro"
- Chuddy K – "Gaga Crazy"
- Brymo – "Ara"
Winners and nominees
|Best R&B/Pop Album||Best Rap Album|
|Best R&B Single||Best Pop Single|
|Best Vocal Performance (Male)||Best Vocal Performance (Female)|
|Best Rap Single||Best Street-Hop Artiste|
|Best Collabo||Lyricist on the Roll|
|Song of the Year||Best Recording of the Year|
|Album of the Year||Artiste of the Year|
|Producer of the Year||Best Music Video|
|Next Rated||African Artiste of the Year|
|Hip Hop World Revelation of the Year||Hall of Fame|
- "MTN backs The Headies". The Sun. 10 October 2012. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- Wisdom, Patrick. "MTN sponsors 2012 'Headies Award'". The Daily Independent. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Winners emerge at MTN sponsored Headies awards". The Sun. 24 October 2012. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- "Vector, DavidO, Psquare clear Headies awards". Channels Incorporated Limited. 21 October 2012. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- Alonge, Osagie (21 October 2012). "Psquare, Wizkid, Vector emerge top winners at The Headies 2012". Nigerian Entertainment Today. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "The 2012 Headies Awards Night is Live from Lagos this Weekend". Zen Magazine. 16 October 2012. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Femi Kuti Headlines The Headies 2012". P.M. News. 27 September 2012. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- "Head-to-Head with Nigerian Artistes At The Headies". Thisday. 14 October 2012. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "A call to music artistes: The Headies invites entries for the 2012 awards". YNaija. 4 June 2012. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- Mgbolu, Charles (28 August 2012). "Psquare, Bez lead Headies 2012 nominees list". Vanguard. Retrieved 10 February 2014.