The Heavenly Kings
|The Heavenly Kings|
|Mandarin||si da tian wang|
|Cantonese||sei dai tin wong|
|Directed by||Daniel Wu|
|Produced by||Conroy Chan
|Written by||Daniel Wu|
|Music by||Jun Kung|
|Edited by||Kim Chan
|Distributed by||Golden Scene|
In 2005, Chinese media began to report that Daniel Wu had formed a boyband, Alive, with Terence Yin, Andrew Lin, and Conroy Chan. Wu and his band mates posted information, updates, personal thoughts (including slamming Hong Kong Disneyland, for which they were spokespersons), and the band's music, at their official website. In 2006, Wu made his writing and directorial debut with The Heavenly Kings, which chronicles Alive's formation and exploits. After the film's release, however, it was revealed that The Heavenly Kings was actually a mockumentary of the Hong Kong pop music industry, and Alive was constructed purely as a vehicle to make the movie; the film's characters represented only 10-15% of their real-life counterparts and much of the footage blurred the line between fiction and reality. Wu admitted his own singing voice "sucked really bad," and the band had their voices digitally enhanced for its music, to prove that "it's easy to fake it."
Cast and roles
- Conroy Chan Chi-Chung - Himself
- Jackie Chan - Cameo (uncredited)
- Jaycee Chan - Cameo
- Jacky Cheung - Cameo
- Stephen Fung - Cameo
- Josie Ho - Cameo (uncredited)
- Tony Ho
- Ella Koon - Cameo (uncredited)
- Jo Kuk - Kei Kei (as Jo Koo)
- Andrew Lin - Himself
- Candy Lo - Cameo
- Karen Mok - Cameo
- Jason Tobin - Sandy
- Nicholas Tse - Cameo
- Paul Wong - Cameo
- Daniel Wu - Himself
- Miriam Yeung - Cameo
- Terence Yin - Himself
Despite some backlash from the media over being intentionally fed false information in the movie about illegal downloads of the band's music, Wu won the best new director award for the film at the 26th Hong Kong Film Awards, an achievement he called "a group effort." The film has also been nominated for Best Original Film Song at the same Awards ceremony: Composer: Davy Chan; Lyricist: Li Jin Yi and Singer: Alive.
- Chen, Fengfeng (2005-08-04). "Daniel Wu forms a new band". China Radio International. Retrieved 2008-05-16.
- Rothrock, Vicki (2005-09-04). "A word of cultural caution". Variety. Retrieved 2008-05-16.
- "Alive". Alive official blog. Retrieved 2008-05-21.
- Johnson, G. Allen (2007-04-25). "A model, actor, singing sensation (well, sort of) and now a director". SF Gate. San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2008-05-17.
- Eddy, Cheryl (2007-04-25). "Bubblegum bandits". San Francisco Bay Guardian. Retrieved 2008-05-17.
- "The great Cantopop swindle". The Standard. 2006-05-22. Retrieved 2008-05-18.
- Young, Jennifer (2007-04-29). "Daniel Wu, "Heavenly King"". indieWIRE. originally from SF360. Archived from the original on 2008-03-13. Retrieved 2008-05-17.