This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Hics are an English Electronic band formed in London in 2012 by Sam Paul Evans and Jacob Welsh. Originally a two piece electronic indie band, the band was soon joined by Matt Knox on bass, Roxane Dayette on vocals, Geordan Reid-Campbell on guitar and David Turay on saxophone. They released their first EP, Tangle, in 2013.
The band members met at Pimlico School, now Pimlico Academy, whilst on the music programme. The Hics were originally formed as a two piece electronic indie band between Evans and Welsh, and were later joined by Matt Knox on bass. After feeling something was missing, they called on their old schoolmates Roxane Dayette, who joined as vocalist, and Geordan Reid-Campbell, who joined as guitarist. The band met their sixth member, Saxophonist David Turay, through the Jazz scene. The Hics got their name from Hickory, the wood from which some drumsticks are made.
Their first single, "Lines", was released on 30 September 2012 through their soundcloud page. The song was soon picked up by BBC Radio 6 Music DJ Gilles Peterson, who played the song on his radio show on 6 October 2012, and later included it on his compilation Brownswood Bubblers Nine, released on 10 December 2012.
In January 2013, the band were runners-up for the Best Breakthrough Act category at Gilles Peterson’s Worldwide Awards. Their second single, "Cold Air", premiered on 16 February 2013 on Gilles Peterson's BBC Radio 6 Music show. The song was released 3 days later on 19 February 2013 to The Hics' soundcloud page. In March 2013, they were mentioned in NME. They released the track "Tangle" on 8 July 2013, as a teaser for their upcoming EP of the same name. The band played their first headline show at the 750 capacity Electrowerkz in London on 1 August 2013, to a sold out crowd. Their first full-length release, the EP Tangle, was released on 19 August 2013. The music video for the song "Tangle", their first music video, premiered on 3 September 2013. The song "Cold Air" was featured on the in game radio of the 2013 video game Grand Theft Auto V.
In May 2014 the band released a new song on their soundcloud page entitled "All We'll Know". The music video for the song premiered on 9 June 2014 and the song was officially released as a single on 16 June 2014. The Hics collaborated with Richard Spaven on a song entitled "Whole Other*", which was released on his album of the same name on 7 July 2014. On 19 September 2014 The Hics were filmed for an appearance on the Channel 4 Four To The Floor series, performing their latest single "All We'll Know" which is featured in one of Channel Four's Shorts series. The episode was broadcast on 1 October. In November 2014 The Hics' Saxophone player David Turay died. The Hics are currently in the studio off and on recording material for an album. The band stated in a 2015 interview that the album will be more upbeat than previous efforts, and that it will include a collaboration with rapper Little Simz. In mid-2015 The Hics were signed to OddChild Music. The result of the Little Simz collaboration, the song "Gratitude", premiered on BBC Radio 1 on 9 September 2015. The Hics' first new material in over a year, it was released on Little Simz' debut album on 18 September 2015. In late 2015, Bass player Matt Knox departed the band.
The Hics are featured on 2 songs on Too High to Riot, the second studio album by American rapper Bas. The album was released on 4 March 2016. The Hics performed their song "Matches" with rapper Bas live on SiriusXM on 4 March 2016. They again performed the song with Bas on 18 March 2016, also on SiriusXM. On 19 March 2016 The Hics performed a 15-minute set at Dreamville SXSW in Austin, Texas. On 15 April 2016 it was announced that The Hics would be embarking on a tour of the United States with rapper Bas. The 26-show Too High To Riot tour will begin in Miami, Florida on 3 June and end on 13 July 2016 in New York City. The music video for the song "Matches", one of their collaborations with Bas, was released on 18 April 2016. The video was filmed in Los Angeles in late February 2016.
- David Turay – saxophone (2012-2014; his death)
- Matt Knox – bass guitar (2012-2015)
- Geordan Reid-Campbell – guitar, electronics
- Jacob Welsh – drums
- Tangle EP (2013)
- Vincent, Alice (1 August 2013). "The Hics - New Faces". The Telegraph.
- Lester, Paul (16 July 2013). "New band of the week". The Guardian.
- Hics, The (30 September 2012). "The Hics on Facebook".
- "6 Music Live At Maida Vale". BBC. 6 October 2012.
- "Gilles Peterson Presents Brownswood Bubblers Nine". iTunes.
- Hics, The (20 January 2013). "The Hics on Facebook".
- Hics, The (16 February 2013). "The Hics on Facebook".
- Hics, The (19 February 2013). "The Hics on Facebook".
- Hics, The (6 March 2013). "The Hics on Facebook".
- Hics, The (8 July 2013). "The Hics on Facebook".
- Hics, The (10 July 2013). "The Hics on Facebook".
- Hics, The (2 August 2013). "The Hics on Facebook".
- Hics, The (3 September 2013). "The Hics on Facebook".
- Limmer, Jack (26 August 2013). "Grand Theft Auto 5 Soundtrack With a Touch of Soul(wax)". Stoney Roads.
- Hics, The (13 May 2014). "The Hics on Facebook".
- Hics, The (9 June 2014). "The Hics on Facebook".
- "The Hics - All We'll Know - Single". iTunes.
- Hics, The (9 July 2014). "The Hics on Facebook".
- "Richard Spaven - Whole Other*". iTunes.
- Hics, The (19 September 2014). "The Hics on Facebook".
- Hics, The (1 October 2014). "The Hics on Facebook".
- Hics, The (22 November 2014). "The Hics on Facebook".
- on YouTube
- "Odd Child Recordings artists".
- Hics, The (9 September 2015). "The Hics on Facebook".
- "Bas - Too High to Riot". iTunes.
- Hics, The (4 March 2016). "The Hics on Instagram".
- Hics, The (19 March 2016). "The Hics on Instagram".
- "BAS TOUR".