The Hidden (video game)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Hidden is a multiplayer total conversion for the popular Half-Life 2 computer game. The gameplay revolves around the retrieval of an escaped research subject where the subject is highly agile, incredibly strong, and nearly invisible. The first beta version was released on June 13, 2005 and its latest release was September 8, 2007.
The Hidden is played by rounds. Each player selects one of the nine IRIS characters; each character is visually distinct, but does not have differing abilities that affect gameplay. A player may choose to play as two classes: Assault and Support. The main difference between Assault and Support is that Support can replenish teammates' ammo. The player also chooses a main weapon, a side arm, and an item. Each round, a player is selected automatically to be the Hidden, usually based on how much damage they dealt to the Hidden in previous rounds. All the other players play as the IRIS, whose goal is to work as a team to hunt down the Hidden and contain it. After the time limit hits, or either side kills the other, the round will end, and a new Hidden may be selected (depending both on who won the previous round, and on the server's settings).
As the Hidden, the player is given several extra abilities not available to the IRIS; The Hidden is nearly invisible, with only a little distortion of the background indicating his presence, sticking to walls, and the ability to detect enemies' auras from a distance. Other abilities include pouncing and cannibalizing corpses of slain enemies to replenish health.
In Mod DB's "Mod of 2005" competition, The Hidden won the Editor's Choice award for the best multiplayer, and in 2006 it won "Best Ambience" in the same competition. In 2006, the game took part in the Independent Games Festival, where it got to the finals of the "Best Half-Life 2 Mod" category, but lost to Dystopia.
- "The Hidden". shelf3d. shelf3d. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- Reismanis, Scott (January 21, 2006). "Mods of 2005". Mod DB. DBolical Pty Ltd. Retrieved October 14, 2016.
- Reismanis, Scott (January 18, 2007). "Mods of 2006 - Editors' Choice". Mod DB. DBolical Pty Ltd. Retrieved October 14, 2016.
- Carless, Simon (January 15, 2006). "IGF 2006 Modding Competition Finalists Announced". Gamasutra. UBM. Retrieved October 14, 2016.
- "GDC: Darwinia Takes Top Prize At 2006 IGF". Gamasutra. UBM. March 23, 2006. Retrieved October 14, 2016.
- Lane, Rick (17 February 2015). "Evolve Review". bit-tech.net. Retrieved 25 August 2015.