The Hidden Wiki
Type of site
The Hidden Wiki is the name of several censorship-resistant wikis operating as Tor hidden services that anyone can anonymously edit after registering on the site. The main page serves as a directory of links to other .onion sites.
As a hidden service, The Hidden Wiki operates through the .onion pseudo top-level domain which can be accessed only by using Tor or a Tor gateway. Its main page provides a community-maintained link directory to other hidden services, including links to money laundering, contract killing, cyber-attacks for hire, contraband chemicals, and bomb making. The rest of the wiki is essentially uncensored as well and also offers links to sites hosting child pornography and abuse images.
The first iteration of the Hidden Wiki was founded some time before October 2011, coming to prominence with its associations with illegal content.
In March 2014 the site and its kpvz7ki2v5agwt35.onion domain was hacked and redirected to Doxbin. Following this event, the content began to be mirrored to more locations. During Operation Onymous in November 2014, after its Bulgarian hosting was compromised, the site served a message from law enforcement.
There are several .onion websites hosting mirrors and forks of the Hidden Wiki. Many are hosted for accessibility reasons, due to frequent downtime and instability of the main wiki, while others were launched in order to filter links to child pornography.
- DeepDotWeb (15 November 2015). "The Hidden Wiki Seized (Old Domain)". Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- Gallagher, Sean (23 October 2011). "Anonymous takes down darknet child porn site on Tor network". Ars Technica. Retrieved 10 February 2012.
- Williams, Christopher (27 October 2011). "The Hidden Wiki: an internet underworld of child abuse". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- Williams, Christopher (24 October 2011). "Anonymous hacktivists target child abuse websites". Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- Howell O'Neill, Patrick (4 August 2013). "An in-depth guide to Freedom Hosting, the engine of the Dark Net". Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "The Hidden Wiki Hacked, WikiTor Fills The Gap". DeepDotWeb. March 14, 2014. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- DeepDotWeb (15 November 2014). "The Hidden Wiki Seized (Old Domain)". Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- Millanta, Luke (6 May 2013). "Peeling the Onion: A look at the Tor Project". PC Authority. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- Mead, Derek (12 March 2014). "A Hacker Scrubbed Child Porn Links from the Dark Web's Most Popular Site". VICE Motherboard. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
|This website-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to the Tor network is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|