The High Strung
The High Strung
|Origin||Detroit, Michigan, United States|
|Genres||Indie Rock, Garage Rock|
|Labels||Park the Van, TeePee, Future Farmer, New Fortune, Paper Thin|
|Associated acts||Floating Action, Guided by Voices, The Capitol Years, Dr. Dog|
|Past members||Jason "Berko" Berkowitz|
The High Strung is an American band from Detroit, Michigan, United States. The band is composed of lead singers and guitarists Josh Malerman and Mark Owen, guitarist Stephen Palmer, bassist Chad Stocker, and drummer Derek Berk. Malerman, Berk, and Owen attended Michigan State University in the late 1990s before moving to New York City. The band formed in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, when the members of the former East Lansing, Michigan, band The Masons changed their name and added Stocker to the roster. Owen left the band in 2005 and returned in 2016. Palmer joined the group shortly after the recording of Dragon Dicks in early 2010.
These are Good Times, Moxie Bravo, Get the Guests and ¿Posible o' Imposible? were produced in Detroit by producer/engineer Jim Diamond.
- 2000 - As/Is
- 2001 - Soap
- 2002 - Sure as Hell
- 2002 - Hannah (or The Whale)
- 2003 - These are Good Times
- 2003 - Follow Through On Your Backhand
- 2006 - Moxie Bravo
- 2007 - Get the Guests
- 2008 - CreEPy
- 2009 - Ode to the Inverse of the Dude
- 2010 - Live At Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
- 2010 - Dragon Dicks
- 2011 - Clown Car
- 2012 - ¿Posible o' Imposible?
- 2014 - I, Anybody
- 2019 - Quiet Riots
In popular culture
- While touring in 2004, they left their broken down tour bus on the steps of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame  in Cleveland, OH. The bus was adorned with a makeshift plaque reading, in part: "This is a 1988 Chevy G30 used by The High Strung. Although the odometer reads 8,621 miles, it is actually 318,621 miles."
- In 2005, they began touring libraries throughout the state of Michigan, spurring an August 4, 2005, episode of This American Life on Chicago Public Radio titled "Dewey Decibel System".
- The High Strung were featured in an interview the indie music magazine, Daytrotter in September 2006 in an article titled "The High Strung: A Tattered Atlas for a Co-Pilot and a Friend in Uncle Bob" about their ever-working ways, and relationship with Robert Pollard.
- The High Strung were featured in an article in Time Out New York in June 2007.
- Their song "The Luck You Got" from the album Moxie Bravo is featured as the theme song to the US version of the show Shameless.
- McCrary, Curtis, Band on the Bus, Tucson Weekly, retrieved 2007-05-31
- "Image Makers | This American Life". Thislife.org. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- "The source for new music from the best emerging bands". Daytrotter. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
-  Archived September 28, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Time Out New York | New York Events, Activities & Things To Do". Timeout.com. Retrieved 2013-04-17.[permanent dead link]