The High Strung
|The High Strung|
|Origin||Detroit, Michigan, United States|
|Labels||Park the Van|
|Past members||Jason "Berko" Berkowitz
The High Strung is an American band from Detroit, Michigan, United States. The band is composed of lead singer and guitarist Josh Malerman, bassist Chad Stocker, and drummer Derek Berk. Malerman and Berk attended Michigan State University in the late 1990s before moving to New York City. The band formed in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, when the members of the former East Lansing, Michigan, band The Masons changed their name and added Stocker to the roster. Detroit guitarist Stephen Palmer joined the group shortly after the recording of Dragon Dicks.
These are Good Times, Moxie Bravo, and Get the Guests were all produced in Detroit by rock producer Jim Diamond. The High Strung are now on Park the Van Records. Their label debut, Get the Guests, was released in May 2007.
- 2000 - As Is
- 2001 - Soap
- 2002 - Sure as Hell
- 2002 - Hannah (or "The Whale")
- 2003 - These are Good Times
- 2003 - Follow Through On Your Backhand
- 2006 - Moxie Bravo
- 2007 - Get the Guests
- 2008 - CreEPy
- 2009 - Ode to the Inverse of the Dude
- 2010 - Live At Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (Download Only)
- 2010 - Dragon Dicks
- 2011 - Clown Car
- 2012 - ¿Posible o' Imposible?
- 2014 - I, Anybody
In popular culture
- In 2004, they left their tour bus on the steps of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- In 2005, they began touring libraries throughout the state of Michigan, spurring an August 4, 2005, episode of This American Life on Chicago Public Radio titled "Dewey Decibel System".
- The High Strung were featured in an interview the indie music magazine, Daytrotter in September 2006 in an article titled "The High Strung: A Tattered Atlas for a Co-Pilot and a Friend in Uncle Bob" about their ever-working ways, and relationship with Robert Pollard.
- The High Strung were featured in an article in Time Out New York in June 2007.
- Their song "The Luck You Got" from the album Moxie Bravo is being used as the theme song to the US version of the show Shameless.
- McCrary, Curtis, Band on the Bus, Tucson Weekly, retrieved 2007-05-31
- "Image Makers | This American Life". Thislife.org. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- "The source for new music from the best emerging bands". Daytrotter. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- [dead link]
- "Time Out New York | New York Events, Activities & Things To Do". Timeout.com. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- Official website
- The High Strung at AllMusic
- The High Strung on Myspace
- Rock & Roll Library Tour website