The Hills, Texas
|The Hills, Texas|
|Type B General Law City|
|• Total||1.1 sq mi (2.8 km2)|
|• Land||1.1 sq mi (2.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||817 ft (249 m)|
|• Density||2,200/sq mi (880/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1785535|
The Hills is a village in Travis County, Texas, United States. The population was 2,472 at the 2010 census, making it the largest village in Texas. It is the second most affluent suburb of Austin, and the 13th most affluent location in all of Texas.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,492 people, 585 households, and 503 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,400.6 people per square mile (538.4/km2). There were 657 housing units at an average density of 616.7/sq mi (237.1/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 97.18% White, 1.21% African American, 0.34% Native American, 0.67% Asian, 0.13% from other races, and 0.47% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.21% of the population.
There were 585 households out of which 30.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 82.1% were married couples living together, 2.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 14.0% were non-families. 12.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 2.77.
In the village, the population was spread out with 22.7% under the age of 18, 3.2% from 18 to 24, 22.5% from 25 to 44, 33.0% from 45 to 64, and 18.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 100.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.6 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $114,861, and the median income for a family was $126,252. Males had a median income of $100,000 versus $41,964 for females. The per capita income for the village was $61,363. About 2.8% of families and 2.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.6% of those under age 18 and 2.5% of those age 65 or over.
The Lake Travis Independent School District serves village students. Lakeway Elementary School in Lakeway, Hudson Bend Middle School in an unincorporated area, and Lake Travis High School in an unincorporated area serve The Hills.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- The Hills village map. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on December 30, 2016.
- "Elementary School Attendance Zone Boundaries." Lake Travis Independent School District. Retrieved on December 30, 2016.
- "Middle School Attendance Zone Boundaries." Lake Travis Independent School District. Retrieved on December 30, 2016.